Pop's Magic Injection Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
My Dad's Injection

1 bottle Liquid onion juice (2 oz)

1 bottle Liquid garlic juice (2 oz)

1 bottle Tabasco (small)

1 bottle Worcestershire (small)

1 stick butter

1/2 cup salt.

heat, dissolve the salt, melt the butter, unused amount can be kept in the reefer.

You know its pretty close to homemade Chex mix, aka Bridge mix, Texas trash

I am wanting to try this on whole chicken. He used it on turkey. It sounds like to much salt? Would also like to add STPP but not sure how much? Any help would be appreciated.

This was the thread from Kevin:

Last edited:
I am wanting to try this on whole chicken. He used it on turkey. It sounds like to much salt? Would also like to add STTP but not sure how much? Any help would be appreciated.

This was the thread from Kevin:
I don't know what STTP is.. please define that? Also if you do use that much salt.. I would make it kosher salt and not table salt. You could start with less then add more later if desired. You can always add but never take away .

Sorry, spell error. STPP, Sodium triphosphate. Thought about using cure calulator and getting the salt and STPP from it? Mix it up without salt than use it in place of the 9 ounces of water. Leave the cure out and sugar.

1623261922297.png

Ok.. I'll admit.. this one is over my head. I thought by the title that you were using Pops Brine which to me is way less complicated ( and I can confirm is great with chicken if that's what you're expecting)

Unfortunately I'm not educated enough in this topic to be of any help but I will be watching in hopes that someone has the right advice for you so we can both learn.

That injection caught my eye before but I only fool with weight based stuff now. Not sure many people are aware but Tony C injections have STPP in it and I bet it's flavor is pretty close to Foam's Dads. I also plan on using some on chicken but not smoking but air frying.

I've used Pops Curing Brine to cure loads of chicken wings.. it turns out really well.. the link you posted to the turkey breast looked great too.. I hope your chicken is a success as well!

Specifications:
Combination of: Sodium Tripolyphosphate; Sodium Pyrophosphate and Sodium Hexametaphosphate
Appearance: White granular powder

Advantages:
  • Improved cooked flavor.
  • Reduced loss of meat fluids.
  • Increased tenderness and juiciness
  • Improved firmer texture
  • Better and faster color development
Suggested usage levels:
One third to one half of one percent (0.3 to 0.5%) of the finished product weight.

For home sausage making: Use approximately one fourth to one half teaspoon per pound of meat. Dissolve the phosphate in water before mixing into the meat mixture. Mix into meat until well distributed, mix for approximately five minutes.

For dipping or soaking applications: AmesPhos is dissolved in water (5.0 to 7.0 % solution at 60 to 70 F, typically). Solution concentration will vary by application. The solution should be chilled, (33 to 35 F, typically) prior to use. The product is then dipped into the solution. This method is used primarily for seafood (scallops, shrimp, fish fillets, approx. a 2 minute dip.) and poultry (marinating of strips or breasts, 6 to 8 hour marinating). The age of the seafood will affect moisture retention so it is important to minimize any delay between harvest and phosphate treatment.

That injection caught my eye before but I only fool with weight based stuff now. Not sure many people are aware but Tony C injections have STPP in it and I bet it's flavor is pretty close to Foam's Dads. I also plan on using some on chicken but not smoking but air frying.
I did not know until think it was you that had mentioned it earlier. I use Tony C injections on most my chicken. I think use 9 ounces of the basic mix with 43 grams salt and 10 grams STPP. Will post results.

Weird. I used to use tri-sodium phosphate to clean fluorescent light fixtures. Now they put the stuff in food?

To be correct, injections should be liquid equal to about 10% of meat weight. Salt should be figured as a percentage of weight. Example, 1.5% salt to 5 pounds meat. Keep in mind that if a bird weighs 5 pounds , about 30% of that is carcass (bones).

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
All the Tony C's have phosphate except the ham injection .

Here's some pics of a whole injected smoked chicken .
Used the veg stock cure injection posted by Dave .
Unsalted veg stock
Salt
sugar
STPP
cure 1
Makes great pulled chicken .
View attachment 499484
View attachment 499485
View attachment 499486
This is good to know because I really like Dave's injectable cure on loins, butts and shoulder picnics. With the Cure #1 on board, what internal temp are you taking the chicken off the smoker? And are you using a #28 sock?

To be correct, injections should be liquid equal to about 10% of meat weight. Salt should be figured as a percentage of weight. Example, 1.5% salt to 5 pounds meat. Keep in mind that if a bird weighs 5 pounds , about 30% of that is carcass (bones).
When injection curing or combination curing I shoot for 10% too. For flavor injecting I'm in the 1 ounce/pound amount, which is about half that.

I tried Dave's inject on whole chicken before and came out salty. That is probably why. I am learning several things on this thread. Thanks all.
Yes sir, and I have found with that same injection from Dave, on chicken at 1.5% salt is just a tad to much. More like 1.0% or increase the carcass weight to 35-40%. On ham it’s spot on, poultry a little on the salty side

To be correct, injections should be liquid equal to about 10% of meat weight.
I go by weight of what I'm injecting , and use the calculator to figure the amounts . Edit ,, yes at 10 %

good to know because I really like Dave's injectable cure on loins, butts and shoulder picnics. With the Cure #1 on board, what internal temp are you taking the chicken off the smoker? And are you using a #28 sock?
I still go to safe temp for poultry . With the phosphates I take it right up to 165 .

That's number 28 netting . For those that don't know , the size number is called out by the number of squares around the diameter .

That sounds good. I going to guess that about what I use when using Tony C.
If you use Tony's , you can just pump it full . It will hold about 10 percent . The rest will naturally leech out . Hold overnight .
I use a lot of Pop's on poultry . I inject out of the gallon mix , then soak .
Most proteins will leech back to 10% .

I tried Dave's inject on whole chicken before and came out salty. That is probably why. I am learning several things on this thread. Thanks all.
I never subtract for bone weight . Always great results . Never had a salty result using Dave's info . I weigh all the stuff .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky