Pop's Breakfast Sausage ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buckbros

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 24, 2019
I am going to make some breakfast sausage and was looking at Pop's recipe. Anyone know what type salt he used?

Probably kosher, but any non-iodized salt is fine for sausage. Just be aware that a TBS of coarse salt and a TBS of fine salt are not the same. If a recipe calls for a TBS of coarse kosher salt, and you sub in fine salt, you are going to be saltier than what the recipe was. This is why I do everything by weight .... 1g of coarse salt is equal to 1g of fine salt, but the volumes are not the same.

He uses regular non Iodized salt . He's staying away from table salt that has additives in it .
You can use Kosher salt , pickling salt or non iodized if you have it . I think at some point he converted the measurements to weight . If you're not going to weight it , you just have to be aware of the granular size .

I use 18 grams per 2 1/2 pounds for all the sausage I make .

Reactions: HalfSmoked
I'm not sure what kind of salt that Pop used. But when I make it, I use kosher salt.

Reactions: chopsaw
I didn't read it all , but look at this . Post 3 .

Just went back to check the date of that thread . That's an older formula . Might be salt heavy .

Thanks for the replies. I do weigh my spices when making recipes.

I followed Pop's sausage exact recipe and made a batch. It came out excellent. it reminds me of the local sausage from stores years ago. I think what they make today has been cut back on the salt. More healthy for sure but less tasty to me.
This recipe is a keeper for me.

He had some great recipes! But they did change over time as he had to cut back on salt and things for health reasons. Best to start on the lighter side... you can always add more.

Ryan

Reactions: DougE
Pop's OG recipe was 8-2-1 ratio. 8 oz salt, 2 oz black pepper, 1 oz sage

For me, that was a little salty. Good, but salty. I use a 6-2-1 ratio. My only variance is sometimes I add a little crushed red pepper and I add it by look, not weight. and after I grind.

Salt (and sage and pepper) by weight is all the same. 1 oz rubbed sage will LOOK like more than 1 oz ground sage, but it's both going to taste equal in the mix. 2 oz coarse ground pepper will LOOK like more than 2 oz fine grind.

I prefer good quality rubbed sage and coarse pepper, Salt is salt. It dissolves into the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky