Pops Bacon on a Stick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

s2k9k

AMNPS Test Group
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
SEUSA
When I saw Pops thread on this I just had to try it: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/96273/pops-original-bacon-on-a-stick-wet-brine-method

So I got 2 racks of St. Louis style and decided to do some side by side taste testing. I have always struggled with ribs trying to get the flavor profile that I want, everybody else who has them thinks they are very good but I'm looking for something else, I'm still not really sure what that is but I'm getting closer. Wednesday I mixed up 2 gallons of Pops brine, 1 with the traditional sugars and salt and 1 with the Splenda and the lite salt and put them in the fridge to get cold. Thursday I cut the racks in half so I could put them in ziplocks, 2 halves in the sugar and 2 in the Splenda. I pulled them out today at 1:00 so they were in the brine for 42 hours. Rinsed them well then rubbed 1 from each brine with Bad Byrons Butt Rub and then 1 from the other brine with ChefJimmyJ's Mild Bubba Q Rub (see post 3  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/122036/mild-pork-butt-rub  ). I smoked them with Todd's Pitmaster's Choice pellets and did a 2.5-1.3-1.5 (don't ask me why/how I came up with that) because I went a little hot and averaged 275* smoker temp. I foiled with a little beer and Stubbs Moppin Sauce. They came out Awesome! I could definitely tell a difference in the brine's. The Splenda brine was a lot sweeter, not candy sweet but a subtle sweet. I don't really like real sweet BBQ but this was really good. The other brine didn't taste sweet at all. I couldn't tell much difference in the rubs, I think the Byron's was a little spicier/saltier. They didn't really taste like bacon but they did have a different flavor and some change in texture from the brine/cure. They were not fall off the bone but more like competition style (the way I like them) but very tender. These were the best ribs I've smoked and getting much closer to that flavor profile I'm looking for. Well enough of that, here's some Q-view:

d9a95561_102_0797.jpg

5792c21c_102_0799.jpg

51c7a0a0_102_0801.jpg

50d74a0b_102_0800.jpg

Great job Dave! The color is beautiful. Send me a PM regarding the flavor profile you are looking for and we will see what the two of us can come up with...JJ

Great job Dave! The color is beautiful. Send me a PM regarding the flavor profile you are looking for and we will see what the two of us can come up with...JJ
The thing is JJ I really don't know what it is. I love the flavor I've gotten on brisket, be's, butts, wings, even jerky, but for some reason I just can't seem to find it on ribs. I like something a little different on different things. Today was a lot better I just need a little more heat, spicer. I think I need to play with the foiling juice. I've tried a lot of different rubs and I don't taste much difference, it's like the rubs don't do much. I really liked what the brine and higher temps did. Nothing I've done has been bad so I'm just going to keep trying so I can keep eating! 

Thanks Pops! JJ worked with me and we tweaked his "Original Bubba Q rub" added some cumin and upped the cayenne a little and I'm pretty happy with it.

I love the cured ribs though! Will probably do this everytime! I showed your brine recipe to a friend at work and he did it and then raved about all week!

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me!!!

You are entirely welcome!  It is such a pleasure to be able to give to others what knowledge I have been able to acquire and share in helping, and likewise getting back far greater knowledge from others, passing it forward amongst all of us, new or old.  I know I won't be here that much longer, but if our knowledge can be passed down, what greater reward can we get?

so glad i found this site!!!!!  been looking for this bacon on a stick recipe for almost 10 years!! couldnt figure out how some  bbq/smoke pits achive that bacon like taste and didnt had the answer till now!!! thanks!!! i only had meat to taste like this at a few bbq places in the south and no where else.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky