Poor man’s boneless ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

towtruck212

Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Holiday pork loin on sale. I took a 8 inch chunk off the end. Cut and rolled it out flat. I tried for a three-quarter inch thickness. Rubbed it down with my homemade rub and put it on the smoker 225° I cooked it till it started to look pretty good. Brought it inside cut it into its individual ribs. I added more dry rub to the ones I was going to leave dry and left the other ones for sauce. I pulled them off when the internal temperature was 165. They could have definitely gone a little higher to make them more tender. All and all really good boneless ribs.
0B01B3A8-2794-4DF5-ABEE-F93F65B7D758.jpeg
9F266CD6-CB55-4A3B-B158-E8BA8585957C.jpeg
4D41A1C3-36EF-4BD4-9378-9AF063D76A47.jpeg
9B8E9A36-CC40-4B0F-9925-65F307C15044.jpeg
DFF6D64E-A5BA-43F7-8AC3-4A0B5C6E0549.jpeg
67188378-D2A9-4B09-8A2D-209C7649CD49.jpeg

This is a intresting idea. Nice work! Just an idea for you.... If you took them to 165° that could be the reason they were not tender.. This cut is very lean. On the next round insted of trying to take them further.. Try less.. Pull at 140° and let them rest for 10-15 min before slicing. You will have a much mor tender end product... I'm afraid if you take them past 165° they will be so tough and dry they will be almost inedible..

Those look really tasty! Great work! I think I'll try that with the sticks, my kids would love that!

This is a intresting idea. Nice work! Just an idea for you.... If you took them to 165° that could be the reason they were not tender.. This cut is very lean. On the next round insted of trying to take them further.. Try less.. Pull at 140° and let them rest for 10-15 min before slicing. You will have a much mor tender end product... I'm afraid if you take them past 165° they will be so tough and dry they will be almost inedible..
I would want to try to make them mimic a fall off the bone rib as much as I can. Not so much a perfectly cooked tenderloin. At 165 they were not very dry.

I would want to try to make them mimic a fall off the bone rib as much as I can. Not so much a perfectly cooked tenderloin. At 165 they were not very dry.
You could maybe try a boneless pork butt . you could cut it in the same shape as you have done here. With the extra fat and connective tissue you could take them to a much higher temp... Like 195ish... I think that would get you the texture your looking for... Be worth trying out.

Reactions: JLeonard
Very creative idea! I love it. pork loins seem to be on sale here often. might need to give this process a try.

Yeah that would be a good idea! I just like to make different things with cheaper cuts of meat.

Reactions: Sowsage
Yeah that would be a good idea! I just like to make different things with cheaper cuts of meat.
Me too!.. Buying larger primal cuts and breaking them down yourself is a great way to make some nice cuts and not break the bank!

Interesting and those look very nice.

With the price of ribs through the roof and with a lack of quality selection seemingly where I shop, I have been doing a boneless variety instead of traditional ribs.
I usually buy a pork butt or country style ribs and cube them up, smoke them directly on the smoker grates for a few hours and then put them in a foil pan sauced for another few hours until tender. I don't think this would work with a pork loin. But as form of burnt ends they come out pretty good and are somewhat easier and less messy than ribs when serving a crowd for a football game watch, which I did recently with good reviews. Plus you get a ton more for the $

Interesting and those look very nice.

With the price of ribs through the roof and with a lack of quality selection seemingly where I shop, I have been doing a boneless variety instead of traditional ribs.
I usually buy a pork butt or country style ribs and cube them up, smoke them directly on the smoker grates for a few hours and then put them in a foil pan sauced for another few hours until tender. I don't think this would work with a pork loin. But as form of burnt ends they come out pretty good and are somewhat easier and less messy than ribs when serving a crowd for a football game watch, which I did recently with good reviews. Plus you get a ton more for the $
I do the same with pork butt. I call them the real poor mans burnt ends. I see people calling a chuck roast turned into burnt ends poor mans burnt ends. Chuck cost more than brisket.

yes I do the same thing with Chuck, I call them poor man's burnt ends but the Chuck isn't cheap these days. I generally do Chuck instead of brisket because I usually am cooking for a small group and a full brisket is just a lot to deal with!
I do the same with pork butt. I call them the real poor mans burnt ends. I see people calling a chuck roast turned into burnt ends poor mans burnt ends. Chuck cost more than brisket.
[/QUOTE/]

That's very creative. Looks great. I agree with most above, take it to 145 IT and let rest a little. You should find it to be more tender and juicy. Great work.

I too agree with 145° IT.
This is exactly like Country Style Ribs, but I prefer the ones from the Butt (Shoulder), instead of from the Loin. The ones from the Butt would be much juicier.

They look great, though.
Like.

Bear

WalMart, Sam's, and a couple of groceries near me do much the same for a reasonable markup. They butterfly them and then score them deeply every 1-1/4" or so to emulate a rib look. I cook them the ole fashioned way to 170°F plus where I find them nice and tender and juicy the first day. If there are any left the next day they will have dried out some but a good slathering of fresh sauce while warming up will make them plenty juicy enough to choke down for leftovers. :emoji_wink: I have accidentally taken some to around 200° where they were about fork tender.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky