Polish Pickle Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Here's a soup recipe that I've been meaning to try, I know it sounds odd but it actually tastes pretty good! I had a simple recipe written down but when I went to google it, there were quite a few of them out there. The recipe from the Nobel Pig stuck with me and I loosely based it on theirs. When I told the wife I was making this, she wrinkled her nose up at the thought of it, so I waited until I was making dinner for myself. She did have a bowl when she came home from her appointment, much to her surprise she enjoyed it.

Polish Pickle Soup

5 cups of Chicken Broth
3 carrots grated
1 medium onion diced
3 or 4 cups of peeled cubed potatoes (I just used what remaining red potatoes I had on hand)
1 cup of chopped dill pickles
1 cup of sour cream
1 1/4 cups pickle juice
1/4 cup flour
1.5tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Butter

Start off by mixing 1/4 cup of flour with a 1/4 cup of pickle juice. Mix to break any lumps in the flour.
IMG_8383.jpg

Add in 1 cup of sour cream, stir and set aside. This will be added to the soup at the end.
IMG_8384.jpg

Here's the rest of the ingredients. This is a quick soup. The whole thing took less than 45 minutes from start to finish.
IMG_8385.jpg

Melt butter in a stock pot and add the carrots and onion. Sauté until onions/carrots are somewhat soft, about 4 minutes. Then add the chopped pickles and cook for another 2 minutes.
IMG_8387.jpg

Add your potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then turn your heat down to medium and cook until potatoes are tender. This took me 15 minutes.
IMG_8388.jpg

IMG_8389.jpg

After potatoes are tender turn heat down to medium-low and whisk in the sour cream mixture, spices and pickle juice. Cook for a few minutes longer. NOTE: I used one cup here. The original recipe called for 2, so if you want more add more but I thought 1 cup was plenty. Adjust your seasonings to taste. Pickles have varying degrees of salt content, so add what you think works best for you.
IMG_8390.jpg

And here's the finished soup.
IMG_8394.jpg

I made this last night, and as with most soups it tasted better the next day. One of the things I was worried about was how well the soup would reheat in the microwave. I nuked a bowl while on my lunchbreak and it was perfectly fine. Overall, I really enjoyed this soup and it is something I will definitely make again. Most of the time I have all the ingredients on hand anyway, so no trip to the store was needed. This made enough for my wife and I to eat for two nights. Thanks for looking.

This is really interesting... How much pickle flavor comes through in the finished soup??

Reactions: xray
I never would’ve put pickle and soup in the same sentence🤣 That is really cool, what mad genius came up with that? Really neat recipe I have to try, it looks delicious! Thank you!

I love a good soup and this looks unique and tasty. Adding it to my keto it up list!

Wow Joe, that looks and sounds really good my friend. Was not too sure about the pickles at the outset but after thinking through it, I can guess they go very well. Another great soup recipe I've gotten from you.

Robert

Reading the title I was like.."ummmmm No." But after reading and seeing the final product I might have changed my mind. Looks good.
Jim

Zupa Ogórkowa
Good stuff. Well done.
Like!

Thank you!! the Zupa Ogorkowa came out good! I did some Breton beans ( Fasolka po Bretonsku) a few weeks ago that were pretty decent too. I wish I knew Polish.

And it looks like I’m making both Greek and Polish soup this coming week. Thanks for the recipe and technique.

I'm thinking the same thing.

Thanks guys! You and me both! I'm looking for word to trying the avgolemono too!

This is really interesting... How much pickle flavor comes through in the finished soup??

Travis, it's pretty upfront with the pickle flavor but then it mixes with the sour cream and potatoes giving a nice sour flavor that isn't too strong. You'll notice it after the first bite then it becomes more subdued as you eat more of it. If you don't like pickles, you may not like it.

I used the petite kosher dills in mine because I had an open jar in the fridge. Some of the recipes I saw said to only use fermented pickles in brine, but other ones said regular dill pickles were fine. I made this with more of what I had on hand.

Reactions: Sowsage
I never would’ve put pickle and soup in the same sentence🤣 That is really cool, what mad genius came up with that? Really neat recipe I have to try, it looks delicious! Thank you!

Thanks Jed! Me either, but if the pictures look good enough to me, I'll definitely try it.

When I heard of it I was like "no way" but once I saw some pictures, I told myself I'd eat it. I'm a fan of pickles, so that was a good enough start for me to attempt this. Plus if I didn't like it, I would only be out a few inexpensive ingredients.

Reactions: bauchjw
I love a good soup and this looks unique and tasty. Adding it to my keto it up list!

Thanks Jeff, let me know if you like it. I guess all you need to do is sub out the flour?

Mmm. Like to cozy up to a bowl of that.

Thanks Brian, it was pretty good stuff, although I wish I had some buttered bread to go with it.

Wow Joe, that looks and sounds really good my friend. Was not too sure about the pickles at the outset but after thinking through it, I can guess they go very well. Another great soup recipe I've gotten from you.

Robert

Thanks Robert, I'd definitely make it again and I'm glad I tried it. It's very minimal with the ingredients so it makes a no-fuss supper.

Reading the title I was like.."ummmmm No." But after reading and seeing the final product I might have changed my mind. Looks good.
Jim

Thanks Jim! I was in the same boat as you, but the final product looked good to me. We definitely eat with our eyes and mine told me "hey that doesn't look so bad!"

Wow! I'd definitely try that and will now even more after seeing your pics! And a definite yes to some bread with it!

Ryan

You started talking about pickles...now I not only gonna make this soup but have a hankering for an "icky" sandwich...peanut butter, pickle, and lettuce sandwich!

Ryan

Travis, it's pretty upfront with the pickle flavor but then it mixes with the sour cream and potatoes giving a nice sour flavor that isn't too strong. You'll notice it after the first bite then it becomes more subdued as you eat more of it. If you don't like pickles, you may not like it.

I used the petite kosher dills in mine because I had an open jar in the fridge. Some of the recipes I saw said to only use fermented pickles in brine, but other ones said regular dill pickles were fine. I made this with more of what I had on hand.
Sounds good to me.... We all like pickles here sooo.... Looks like I might be putting this on the list of things to do...!

Thanks Jed! Me either, but if the pictures look good enough to me, I'll definitely try it.

When I heard of it I was like "no way" but once I saw some pictures, I told myself I'd eat it. I'm a fan of pickles, so that was a good enough start for me to attempt this. Plus if I didn't like it, I would only be out a few inexpensive ingredients.
I’m with you! I trust you and the pics do look tasty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky