Points at 195 and flat at 165????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gwpreston

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Only my second brisket on my Rec Tec but I can't find this particular situation.  I put my trusty probe in the thickest part of a 12lb brisket and smoked until 195.  Started to pull and thought to check the flat and it's only 165!  I've never heard of the thinner part taking longer than the fat part!  Any suggestions?  I've wrapped it at this point to try to get it moving as my guests are coming in two hours.  I can't imagine there is such a temp difference between the two ends on this pellet pooper.

I see this is your first post. When you get a chance will you drop by roll call so we can all give you a SMF welcome?

I have never noticed much of a temp difference. I put the probe in the point. When it gets to 185° I start poking with a tooth pick. When the toothpick goes in like butter it is done. You have to be patient. it is not done till it's done.

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky