Pocket knife suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you like clips, make sure to wear the knife facing your pants and the clip on the outside of the belt. Otherwise your knife is lost the first time you walk through a tight passageway, obstruction, or hedge...and you won't feel a thing.

If it'll fit in my pocket, I remove the clip and keep it in my pocket. If too big, I want a leather sheath on my belt that the knife slips into.

My last Kershaw kind of fell apart when I was seeding and fertilizing a few weeks ago. I used Kershaw for 10 years but after the "fall-apart" incident, time to move on.

I am temporarily carrying a Browning folding knife but need to get something that clips on. My knife is a tool and needs to be handy without sticking messy hands in my pocket. Hoping for some good suggestions in this long thread.
Send it back to them!

Reactions: chopsaw
Looked up the build code on my Buck 110.
1981-1986

It's been a good knife but I don't carry it. I would call it my "safe queen"
Sheath fell apart 10 years ago or better. Snap wore through.

1685929983643.png

Last edited:
Just what I pulled out of my pocket:

1685930182451.png

Left to right, the serrated blade is a Timberlite from Great American tool gifted to me by the owner many years ago, center is a small single blade Buck I keep in my pocket for when I need something sharp to do some real cutting, and the 3 blade Case is my general workhorse for every day stuff ....... yes, the Case sometimes gets used as a screwdriver when it's all I have handy. I have been carrying all three for a lot of years.

1981-1986

View attachment 667148
When someone mentions Buck Knives, the 110 is what many think of and it is their top seller even to this day. It was designed and first sold in 1964 and is as iconic as any knife ever made by anyone. The first one I had was given to me by my dad in the 1975. I "lost" that knife in the 80's and bought a replacement. Of course once I bought another, I "found" my original, thankfully, and still have them both. I primarily used them for cleaning deer back in the day...

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Yup my Buck 450C (1999) is still one of the sharpest knives I own and still shaves the hair off my forearm.

Attachments

• 20230605_063829.jpg
    20230605_063829.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 5
Just what I pulled out of my pocket:

View attachment 667149

Left to right, the serrated blade is a Timberlite from Great American tool gifted to me by the owner many years ago, center is a small single blade Buck I keep in my pocket for when I need something sharp to do some real cutting, and the 3 blade Case is my general workhorse for every day stuff ....... yes, the Case sometimes gets used as a screwdriver when it's all I have handy. I have been carrying all three for a lot of years.
Love Case knives

When someone mentions Buck Knives, the 110 is what many think of and it is their top seller even to this day. It was designed and first sold in 1964 and is as iconic as any knife ever made by anyone. The first one I had was given to me by my dad in the 1975. I "lost" that knife in the 80's and bought a replacement. Of course once I bought another, I "found" my original, thankfully, and still have them both. I primarily used them for cleaning deer back in the day...
You gotta check out the 110 and 112 autos! They are pretty slick!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Dug my old Kershaw out of the drawer . Bought this sometime around 1985 / 86 .
Got it when I was still working as an auto mechanic from the Matco tool man .
I used it as a tool . Cut radiator hoses , copper wire and all things in and outside of work .
To thick to carry in a pocket . Used to keep it in my tool box , or on the bench when I'm working on something . It's still sharp and tight after all this time . I think it came with the allen wrench for the handle too .
20230605_105418.jpg
20230605_105427.jpg
20230605_105436.jpg

Indeed. It was almost a right of passage when a young man got his first 110 when I was growing up. Any given deer camp had 3-4 of these in it at any given time. Mine still locks up as tight as any fixed blade. The brass has a beautiful patina too. Men had either one of these or a buck fixed blade. We had a gentleman that sold lockback knives that he made from old files (old being good steel from the 40's-60's). Those were pretty prominent too. God would they get sharp. open up a deer like it was a banana.

Steel meets steel, looks like it's one piece.
1685994791035.png

Next to a 'disposable' modern knife. If I break it or lose it, no big deal. This one is actually broken at the frame but still usable. Trying to get Gerber to warranty it out. Got 7 bucks in it, don't care if they do or not.
1685994946632.png

Last edited:
Indeed. It was almost a right of passage when a young man got his first 110 when I was growing up. Any given deer camp had 3-4 of these in it at any given time. Mine still locks up as tight as any fixed blade. The brass has a beautiful patina too. Men had either one of these or a buck fixed blade. We had a gentleman that sold lockback knives that he made from old files (old being good steel from the 40's-60's). Those were pretty prominent too. God would they get sharp. open up a deer like it was a banana.

Steel meets steel, looks like it's one piece.
View attachment 667196

Next to a 'disposable' modern knife. If I break it or lose it, no big deal. This one is actually broken at the frame but still usable. Trying to get Gerber to warranty it out. Got 7 bucks in it, don't care if they do or not.
View attachment 667197
Take a Kabar over a Buck any day!

Attachments

• 20230605_173342.jpg
    20230605_173342.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 5
Since this thread has started, Ive misplaced my new Kershaw blur.........

1981-1986

View attachment 667148

From the mid 70's to the mid 90's I carried a Buck 112 Ranger on my belt. Most of us in the Navy did on ships back then. A sailor stuck another sailor with a Buck 110 Hunter during a fight and the Navy outlawed the 110 so Buck came out with the 112 which is 3/4" of an inch shorter.

History of the 112

It is in one of the boxes under the reloading bench and has been for a couple of decades. Now I carry a Case Trapper in my pocket like I used to when I skinned rats and coons before school.

48955926926_140da3e335_b.jpg

Gerber makes a lot of junk these days, but the Gator II in 154CM is a neat bargain knife. I paid something like $50. It has a rubber handle which is hard to destroy, and 154CM is a lot better than most of what you will find at this price point.

I got me a KME sharpener, and the repeatable edges it gives are amazing.

I used to carry nothing but cheap, replaceable once dull knives. Because I never saw the purpose of spending a lot of money on one. The most expensive pocket knife I carried was a CRKT, up until my birthday this year. My kids chipped in and got me a Benchmade. A Claymore. By far my most valuable knife, but not just because of pure cost, but for sentimental reasons as well!

rsz_img_1925.jpg

My problem with expensive knives is that I feel like I'm vandalizing the Mona Lisa when I use one.
I completely understand that, I was the same exact way. But since mine was a gift from my kids it helped me start using mine like I would one of my normal cheap knives. Now I actually enjoy using it, lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky