Pls Help: Mods for my offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeyj121

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
   Hey guys,

Finally I have time to do some mods for my offset smoker. I had it made pretty similar to Franklin's style. However, after a while of using it, I would love to be helped to get this bad boy fixed so he can blow smoke and cook meats even better. 

1. This is how the firebox looks. I have to leave the door open for the air circulation. I believe it can be easier for me to control it by shutting the door and having a new air vent. 

Should I just do a round air vent right in the middle at the bottom (under the door)? If you guys have any pictures of yours that you can show, please do!!!!

2. The heat distribution within the cooking chamber is very uneven. So I am thinking of installing baffle plate and tunning plates for this bad boy. 

I've never done this before so your advice are very valuable!!!! And again, if you have pics, please show!

Just for additional info: FB: 24in x 20in and CC: 47in x 20in 

This badboy has been working with me very well. So Im very excited to make him even better. Thank you for time!!!

Peace out.

2thumbs.gif

Just before i get deeper into this as im reading the article, its written for reverse flow smoker speciafically. Will it work just fine for a regular one? Mine is not a reverse smoler. Thank you pitmaster

2thumbs.gif

Just before i get deeper into this as im reading the article, its written for reverse flow smoker speciafically. Will it work just fine for a regular one? Mine is not a reverse smoler. Thank you pitmaster

It will work fine for an offset....  If you NEED more room topside for racks, the FB/CC opening can be reduced 20% or so....    The larger opening allows for heat to move very freelly into the CC, which in turn reduces the temperature in the FB and reduces wood consumption....
When this project started, modifying the calculations, some folks FBs were screaming hot and the CC wouldn't get up to a decent cooking temperature..   The FB/CC opening was restricting the air flow....    THEN, an upper air inlet was added to the FB so heat could be pushed from the FB to the CC WITHOUT adding air supply to the fuel sitting on the wood grate....   Now the lower air inlet specifically feeds the fire while the uppper air inlet specifically moves the heat to the CC....   Granted, it's a little archaic, and some diligence to learn the dynamics of the system are in order...  but once you understand what's happening and how to tweak the air flows, you've got a winner....

One member, last week, was mentioning he was controlling his Reverse Flow smoker at 80 deg. F and cold smoking stuff...   That took some dedicated learning and time to get all those cats in the bag, to make that work...  He"s so happy with how well he can control the heat and how little fuel it uses..  

Anyhoo...  You need help, I'm here and so are others that understand the tutorial.....   Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky