Please help re: buttermilk speading up ferment on Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seadog92

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Please, forgive me if I'm asking a question that's been hammered to death, but I've not been able to find an answer to my question in the search format.  Here's my issue.  My son is coming from out of town for two days, and he asked if I would show him how to make sausage.  I'd like to try my hand at making summer sausage.  It seems to me that I've read somewhere that if I used liquid buttermilk instead of Fermento in my summer sausage, that I can mix meat on Friday and smoke on Saturday.  This would allow my son to see the whole process.

I have Rytek's book and was going to use that recipe, but instead of the Fermento, use liquid Buttermilk.  I also have a small container of the buttermilk powder if I should use that instead.  It just seemed to me that I read someplace that using the liquid would give the sausage the tang without having to "ferment" for a couple days.  If I'm remembering correctly (I can't find where I read that originally) how much liquid buttermilk should I use for 10 lbs of meat?  If it's best to use the powdered buttermilk, do I just substitute 1 1/2 cups of that for the 1 1/2 cup of Fermento?

Thanks. I'll be posting my process with photos once my son gets here and we can start!

Paul

Didn't anyone have an idea on the buttermilk question?

1.5 cups of liquid buttermilk should get u where u want for 10 lbs. fermento is just a more finely powdered buttermilk powder.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky