Playing with the new SV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I had gotten a great deal on an SV from Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq awhile back but never really got around to using it. Well since we had some pretty crap weather through the holidays my normal smoking and grilling was kind of limited. What better time to bust it out? Got some great tips from the forum members here and went to it.

Christmas Eve started with a semi-boneless leg of lamb.
Christmas1.jpg

Seasoned, quick sear on the grill, and into the 132 bath.
Christmas2.jpg

Christmas3.jpg

Glad I decided to not to uncover the smoker. Still had to enjoy a few cold ones.
Christmas4.jpg

Back to the lamb. Rolled 132 for around 7 hours. Let her rest and sliced her up. Didn't get a plated shot but here is the meat. Just perfect texture and doneness.
Christmas5.jpg

Fast forward to New Years Eve. Scored a nice deal on a tenderloin. Did a little processing.
SVfilet.jpg

Svfilet2.jpg

Put these in the bath 131 for 1 1/2 hours. While they were doing their thing I made up some compound butter using minced garlic and dried herbs(all I had on hand).
Svfilet3.jpg

Out of the bath.
SVfilet4.jpg

Got a CI pan screaming hot on the side burner of my gas grill and dumped on a little grapeseed oil. The finished product.
Svfilet5.jpg

Oh man these things were like butter. Perfect doneness. Threw some oven roasted garlic potatoes, garlic bread, and a little bit of mashed cauliflower(wife) on with it.
Svfilet6.jpg

Neighbor and wife had covid through Christmas so we took them some groceries, a few home cooked meals, and even made a liquor store run :emoji_laughing:. After they were well again he brought oven 3 ribeyes he had gotten at Costco. Damn things must have been a pound and a half a piece. Thick and nice marbling too. Well thought it would fun to play with the SV again. Said he like med rare and wife like medium. Alright then. Decided to do these 134 for 2 hours hoping they would come out right in between. Didn't get any prep pics but here they are out of the bath. The 3 on the left are the Costco steaks. On the right I threw in another ribeye I had in the freezer and a filet too.
SVribeye.jpg

Rest and then a quick sear on the grill.
SVribeye1.jpg

Things were massive so I cut them in half. One steak fed two people. Juicy as hell and not too bad on the final doneness.
SVribeye2.jpg

Made a batch of twice baked taters, some stuffed shrooms, grilled Texas toast, and a salad(not pictured).
Svribeye3.jpg

All in all it was fun to play around with the SV. It produced some damn good food. The filet's I would say took the cake. I prefer the 131 temp as opposed to the 134. Cant wait to play with some other cuts of meat as well!

Bonus shot of New Years Day dinner. Collared greens, black eyed peas, corn bread(recipe courtesy of tx smoker tx smoker ), and the remaining smoked Christmas ham. Looks a mess but I can assure it was tasty.
newyears.jpg

Thanks for looking stay safe out there.

John

Wow, that's a real slew of some fine holiday sous viding John, huge Like! You've inspired me to break out my sous vide unit for a bunch of fillet mignon steaks I cut too thick, take away all the guessing when they are done the way I want. RAY

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
All looks Great, John!!
You're enjoying your new toy---I knew you would.
If you want, check out my Step by Steps on SV stuff. Might give you some ideas & pointers.
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

Awesome looking steaks, John. This is exactly why I love my SV device(s)...Always cook my 2" thick steaks at 131F for 4-5 hours and they coming out perfectly medium rear cooked all the time. Have fun with your SV toy!!!

Hell ya John! Everything looks spectacular. Glad to see you’re enjoying the SV. It’s a great tool as it frees up some time to cook other things. Then once your side dishes are done, you sear and the whole meal comes together in a snap!

That new year’s plate has me drooling too!

Wow, that's a real slew of some fine holiday sous viding John, huge Like! You've inspired me to break out my sous vide unit for a bunch of fillet mignon steaks I cut too thick, take away all the guessing when they are done the way I want. RAY

Thanks Ray! Let us know how those filets turn out once you get them going!

All looks Great, John!!
You're enjoying your new toy---I knew you would.
If you want, check out my Step by Steps on SV stuff. Might give you some ideas & pointers.
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks John. Have checked your SV references out many times. Look forward to trying a chuck roast and some of the larger cuts of beef!

Awesome looking steaks, John. This is exactly why I love my SV device(s)...Always cook my 2" thick steaks at 131F for 4-5 hours and they coming out perfectly medium rear cooked all the time. Have fun with your SV toy!!!

Thank you sir! I haven't let a steak go that long yet but its on the list to do!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky