Plate Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
Picked up some beef plate ribs from Costco. Never cooked these before. Very rich and just melted in your mouth. For a base I used franks hot sauce instead of oil or mustard. Then kosher salt and coarse ground pepper ( about two parts pepper to one salt). Spritzed through out the cook with GFS au jus and red wine mixture. Like using mustard you couldn’t taste the hot sauce but I think it might of complemented the pepper. I took these to around 195 degrees internal. Probably good have gone longer but the probe felt like butter going in and I was getting hungry :-)

Attachments

• img (1).jpeg
    img (1).jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 36
  • img (2).jpeg
    img (2).jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 36
  • img.jpeg
    img.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 36
They look great! Probe tender is what matters. I’ve had these finish anywhere from 195 to 205. I spritz mine with a mix of 1 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup Frank’s

Looking good. I did my first plate/ short ribs on Saturday. They turned out amazing! I’m in Southern California and to hunt to find these, and they were costly but worth it. Last time I check my local Costco only had the boneless chuck short ribs but I will go back and look. I salted mine the night before and then used Holy Cow rub. After about two hours I started spritzing with apple cider vinegar. At 195 the probe was good but we got inpatient and pulled them, no big deal at all.

Attachments

• C02C3049-30D8-4A92-B5C7-14C8182B4A87.jpeg
    C02C3049-30D8-4A92-B5C7-14C8182B4A87.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 28
  • AD810944-886E-479F-B4C7-598124BF39A3.jpeg
    AD810944-886E-479F-B4C7-598124BF39A3.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 23
I recently got some of these at Sam's Club. They never have them out since they cut them into the flanken style ribs. I saw one of their meat cutters working on them and asked if I could buy the whole plate. She went in the back and brought out a cryovac with four full plates in it. Not cheap but am looking forward to finally being able to make some of these.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky