• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Plate Ribs

culpepersmoke

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 16, 2010
Picked up some beef plate ribs from Costco. Never cooked these before. Very rich and just melted in your mouth. For a base I used franks hot sauce instead of oil or mustard. Then kosher salt and coarse ground pepper ( about two parts pepper to one salt). Spritzed through out the cook with GFS au jus and red wine mixture. Like using mustard you couldn’t taste the hot sauce but I think it might of complemented the pepper. I took these to around 195 degrees internal. Probably good have gone longer but the probe felt like butter going in and I was getting hungry :-)

Attachments

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Looking good!
I've never seen plates at Costco. I'm planning to go Wednesday for some belly and will check it out!

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
They look great! Probe tender is what matters. I’ve had these finish anywhere from 195 to 205. I spritz mine with a mix of 1 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup Frank’s

Dirty Steve

Joined Apr 15, 2021
Looking good. I did my first plate/ short ribs on Saturday. They turned out amazing! I’m in Southern California and to hunt to find these, and they were costly but worth it. Last time I check my local Costco only had the boneless chuck short ribs but I will go back and look. I salted mine the night before and then used Holy Cow rub. After about two hours I started spritzing with apple cider vinegar. At 195 the probe was good but we got inpatient and pulled them, no big deal at all.

Attachments

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks great!
Nice & meaty!
Al

NoCoPK360

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 19, 2020
I recently got some of these at Sam's Club. They never have them out since they cut them into the flanken style ribs. I saw one of their meat cutters working on them and asked if I could buy the whole plate. She went in the back and brought out a cryovac with four full plates in it. Not cheap but am looking forward to finally being able to make some of these.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Those look fantastic . Nice cook .

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.