plans to pimp my22 inch weber kettle premium . your thoughts ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JeffB1961

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
so i'm planning on ordering a few things for my kettle in 2 weeks and i'd like y'alls opinion on what i'm ordering .

first ... the lid bail from weber . i was considering the unknown hinge but since i'm not feeling the slow n sear over the snake method ..... i'm thinking the bail would be better since i can turn the top vents opposite the side the snake is burning as it works it's way around and still have a place to rest the top ....vs the UH ... i could pull the pin to rotate the top but i'd be back to either the lid hook or sitting the top somewhere . so for my use it seems like the bail is the way to go . an added benefit is it's about half the price of the polished UH . i'll measure a weber master touch on a store display to see where the holes are placed for the bolts on it . i'm wondering/hoping i can fudge the holes a little to help the lid sit closer to 90 degrees but if not i can live with it . that almost $30 savings will almost cover the cost of the $40 SnS cover needed for mod #2 .

second .... is the SnS side table . i really like that it folds down . but i'll have to get the SnS kettle cover because i'm pretty sure the added with of the bail on one side and the folded side table on the other will be too wide for the cover i have for it . here's a video of it being installed on a weber . it seems better constructed than than BBQ Dragon side shelf .

third is a temp probe port . i'm undecided between either a silicone or the SnS kettle probe port . i'm leaning towards silicone so i don't have to worry about scratching a smile on the sides of the metal one .what are y'alls thoughts/suggestions ?

i'm gonna hold off on a grate . still undecided between the weber gourmet or going cast iron . or i may just wait till when or if i damage the stock grate with the vortex . BTW , planning on doing chicken leggs with the vortex this weekend . i'll take pics and post them here ..... unless i mess them up ! hahaha .

so i'm planning on ordering a few things for my kettle in 2 weeks and i'd like y'alls opinion on what i'm ordering .

first ... the lid bail from weber . i was considering the unknown hinge but since i'm not feeling the slow n sear over the snake method ..... i'm thinking the bail would be better since i can turn the top vents opposite the side the snake is burning as it works it's way around and still have a place to rest the top ....vs the UH ... i could pull the pin to rotate the top but i'd be back to either the lid hook or sitting the top somewhere . so for my use it seems like the bail is the way to go . an added benefit is it's about half the price of the polished UH . i'll measure a weber master touch to see where the holes are placed for the bolts on it . i'm wondering/hoping i can fudge the holes a little to help the lid sit closer to 90 degrees but if not i can live with it . that almost $30 savings will almost cover the cost of the $40 SnS cover needed for mod #2 .

second .... is the SnS side table . i really like that it folds down . but i'll have to get the SnS kettle cover because i'm pretty sure the added with of the bail on one side and the folded side table on the other will be too wide for the cover i have for it . here's a video of it being installed on a weber . it seems better constructed than than BBQ Dragon side shelf .

third is a temp probe port . i'm undecided between either a silicone or the SnS kettle probe port . i'm leaning towards silicone so i don't have to worry about scratching a smile on the sides of the metal one .what are y'alls thoughts/suggestions ?

i'm gonna hold off on a grate . still undecided between the weber gourmet or going cast iron . or i may just wait till of if i damage the stock grate with the vortex . BTW , planning on doing chicken leggs with the vortex this weekend . i'll take pics and post them here ..... unless i mess them up ! hahaha .

interesting, would the sns side table possibly distort the kettle if too much weight was put on it? Do you have links to the silicone or sns temp probe ports...not sure what those are? Lastly why would the votex damage the stock grate?

Post up the cook either way, I have posted up fails just to get the feedback fro everyone here.

i think the weber kettle should be fine . FWICT the metal is the same thickness as the SnS grill

I'm with Colin. Just cut a slot in the lip so you can run your cables thru. A little high heat touch-up paint to start then the kettles seasoning will keep it protected.

This slide-a-side is a great way to hold the lid.

Chris

S5rl3JE.jpg

Yes, the bail is a good ad-on. Especially if you live in a windy area.

I have a SnS kettle with all the options, the temp probe hole is a great addition, but the silicone plug works fine. That said, I use the 'Smoke Hole' slider more often. It allows me to dial in 250° very easily. Consider that modification.

I have the SnS basket and it's great.

Reactions: JeffB1961
J JeffB1961 I would do the lid bail for sure .
I would skip that table . Not sure what kind of room you have , but I would look to build or buy a side table . With wheels . For 2 reasons . My opinion . There's not enough room on top of the SnS table to be of much use , let alone drill 4 holes in a nice new kettle .
I bet it won't hold much weight either .

I still have this from the early 80's . I finally threw the bracket away so I couldn't " use " it anymore . NEVER would hold any weight .
I mean it did , until it didn't . It was nice to prep meat on it in the house ( has 4 feet on the bottom ) take it to the grill to put the food on . You couldn't work off it because it always slide down .
1647701414922.jpeg

Get it fired up and do some cooks . I got this for Christmas . This is on a Gas grill , but I use it one the kettle too . Weber SS grill tray . If you like to grill vegetables it's a great add .
1647702360430.jpeg

This is on the SmokeFire . You can see the slots better .

1647702697264.jpeg

That porcelain enameled finish can easily star or chip. Not to mention a drill bit will skate like crazy on it.
Yup . If I was going to drill one of mine I'd go buy a new good quality bit .
Also people start to drill and the bit walks like Steve said , so they drill from the inside out . Big mistake .

thanks folks . i used to build decks and fences so i'm decent at building with wood and i do build a lot of stuff with pallets so i'l probably just build a table to set next to it .i still gotta drill holes for the bail though .....

Yup . If I was going to drill one of mine I'd go buy a new good quality bit .
Also people start to drill and the bit walks like Steve said , so they drill from the inside out . Big mistake .
Another technique is to put two layers of painter's tape over the drilling point. Start slowly, the tape will bunch up a bit and keep the bit from walking.

thanks again folks . i'll drill a 1/16 for a guide for my hole saw bit for the temp probe , it shouldn't walk then . i'll use progressively larger bits for the lid bail holes and i'm gonna drill the guide from the inside so if the guide walks it won't scar/scratch the outside .i'll use light pressure when drilling and i'll use the painters tape suggestion also .

my amazon cart currently has ....
Liberty P4517Q Cotton/Polyester
Badia Smoked Paprika 16 Oz
YAOAWE 5 Pack Meat Thermometer Probe Grommet
Weber 63058 Replacement 22.5" Lid Bale w/Brackets
KITCHENDAO Bamboo Salt and Pepper Bowl Box (for the lady)
Husqvarna .105-Inch 690ft spool Titanium Force trimmer line

i'll pass on the SnS side table as suggested and make one out of pallets .

I used a step drill to drill a probe hole in both my kettles and WSM.
Hold a 2X2, or similar, end grain against the inside of the grill and push hard on the drill. I had no trouble with walking. (Once you've got the hole started you can remove the wood block)

DSC01385.jpg

Step drill. (Not the one I have just similar)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky