Planning My First Wing Smoke. Do I Have The Right Game Plan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

quagmire38

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
The Beautiful NEW YORK CITY
Whats Up everyone.

I want to try some wings on my WSM 18". The following is my game plan. Feel free to advise and or correct

Buy Wings.

Marinate Overnight.

Fire Up The Smoker to 250

Smoke Wings for 2.5 to 3hrs.

Simple enough but I have questions

Should I brine them? If so whats a good brine?

What should be the internal temperature of the wings when they are done?

After the smoke is it necessary to put them on the grill or in the oven?

Is there anything else Im missing other than experience?

Thanks in advance.

There have been some great wing smokes on here the last couple of weeks.

Try the search tool at the top of the page and be sure to post up yours too!

Good luck and good smoking.

We usually smoke wings at 225 for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, then put them on a hot 500+ degree grill for a couple of minutes on each side to get the skin crispy. Then toss them in a bowl with Frank's hot wing sauce. I don't usually check the IT but it probably would be a good idea to do so. Chicken is done at 165 IT. If you choose to brine them ( we don't usually brine wings ), search "slaughterhouse brine", it's the one a lot of us use.

Here is how I make mine and they went over big at the North West Florida gathering.

MIx 1 stick of butter with one bottle of Louisiannia hot sauce, 2 TBS creole seasoning and at least a 1/4 cup honey. Brush on wings flip them after an hour or so and brush the sauce on them again.( I also sprinkle some of Jeff's rub on them after the sauce). The more you baste them the hotter they get. I don't brine wings and I use whole wings. I can always find them cheaper and cut them myself if desired. I don't brine wings.

Oh yeah...Bamas wings are good!!!

Hey Tim!!

Where ya been???

Craig

I just smoked wings for the first time this week, and I thought I'd share what I learned:  buy about double the number of wings you think you need!  People can't get enough of those suckers!  LoL!  

PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Good luck with the smoke!  Looking forward to the Q view!

I just smoked wings for the first time this week, and I thought I'd share what I learned:  buy about double the number of wings you think you need!  People can't get enough of those suckers!  LoL!  

PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Good luck with the smoke!  Looking forward to the Q view!
Very good advice 
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky