Planked Sockeye Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks Great!

My planks, even after being soaked in white wine, come out way more charred. I do mine over high heat though.

My favorite way to prepare salmon...

If you haven't planked salmon, you need to! 

I think my plank did not char up because  I had it in the BGE with lid closed.

It definitely warped pretty hard. I soaked for about 6 hours beforehand (not sure if that made a difference)

The Salmon was very moist I would recommend anyone that like likes fish to try this method.

I think my plank did not char up because  I had it in the BGE with lid closed.

It definitely warped pretty hard. I soaked for about 6 hours beforehand (not sure if that made a difference)

The Salmon was very moist I would recommend anyone that like likes fish to try this method.
I can see how the planks didn't char then.

I do mine over high heat on my gasser and the charring of the planks provides the smoke. Age old method of cooking salmon for sure..

What I normally do is to soak the wood for 3-4 hours. Get the grill up and running at a hot temp. Put the plank on the grill with no fish on it. Let the bottom side of the plank get toasted. Flip over and then lay the Salmon on the charred side. Grill until done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I must try this I have about 100lbs of sockeye in my freezer now. Where do you get your planks at?

Now I have hindsight I would prob just go to lowes and buy a coupe of UNTREATED Cedar Palings cut them to 16 -18 inch lengths and sand

Then kaboom cheap planks for cooking.

Make sure the wood is untreated

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky