Placement of SMOKER temp probe inside vertical smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
Not sure if this should have been in General or in the propane smoker equipment section, but here goes...

In a vertical smoker (in my case, it's a MB ThermoTemp XL 40"), where is the best place to put the probe that measures the SMOKER temperature?

I currently have the smoker probe on the top rack, a 5.5lb butt on the middle rack right beneath the factory temp sensor and am not using a water pan (only a foil pan to catch the drips)...I'm wondering if I should have placed the smoker probe on the same rack?

I've had this smoker for a couple of years, but, as it sometimes does, life got in the way and I haven't used it much. Things have settled down now and I'm ready to jump back in and figure out how to master this beast (HA!).

Thanks!

I have a WSM charcoal smoker. If I'm using just the upper rack, I place the probe attached to the upper rack.
If I'm using both the upper and lower rack, I suspend the probe to be between the upper and lower rack.
I'm sure there are other ways to place the probe, but this seems to work for me.

Reactions: SherryT
One suggestion would be to temperature profile the smoker then decide the location of the probe. Take readings left, center and right at different elevations. Determine what the temperature swing is of the smoker. This will help during a cook.
Have two electric smokers and probes are placed about mid way vertically. Works well for us.

Not sure if this should have been in General or in the propane smoker equipment section, but here goes...

In a vertical smoker (in my case, it's a MB ThermoTemp XL 40"), where is the best place to put the probe that measures the SMOKER temperature?

I currently have the smoker probe on the top rack, a 5.5lb butt on the middle rack right beneath the factory temp sensor and am not using a water pan (only a foil pan to catch the drips)...I'm wondering if I should have placed the smoker probe on the same rack?

I've had this smoker for a couple of years, but, as it sometimes does, life got in the way and I haven't used it much. Things have settled down now and I'm ready to jump back in and figure out how to master this beast (HA!).

Thanks!
Rack level where the meat isn't blocking air flow is the best option.
I'm also in agreement with rjob rjob that probes at rack level going left, center, and right side of rack will give you a ton of info to understand what temp is at your rack and which area is the hot area and least hot area.

I rock 3 probes at rack level in locations of back left, center/center, front right. This gives me temps left to right as well as front to back so i know what is happening all along the rack :)

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
With my MB gasser.. I have a probe at lowest Rack and one highest rack. Both centered on the rack. I may also run one at the level of the meat. Usually gives me a pretty good average of the other two.
Jim

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
When I used to use a probe for smoker temp. I would always put it on the same grate about an inch or two away from the meat. Currently the only temp probe I have for smoker temp is a cheap oven stand alone unit that's probably about 5 years old. I don't think it works all that well anymore, but I keep it there for nostalgic reasons. I'm not all that concerned about the exact temps of my smoker/kettles anymore. I pretty much run all my cooks in the 250* range and know how many prelite coals I need at the start and my vent positioning to achieve this. If I need the temps lower then I just adjust the vents accordingly. I also use the lid therm to tell me if my smokers are starting to heat up or if the temp is dropping. I'll also periodically check the temp of the meat with an insta-read to see how they're progressing or when done.

Pic of my cheap oven standalone therm:
1666359562692.png

I would do what rjob rjob said or simply pick a convenient place and use that location all the time. That way, you can can tailor your heat profile and have a consistent temp feedback.

My $0.02....

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: JLeonard
I have a WSM charcoal smoker. If I'm using just the upper rack, I place the probe attached to the upper rack.
If I'm using both the upper and lower rack, I suspend the probe to be between the upper and lower rack.
I'm sure there are other ways to place the probe, but this seems to work for me.

Exactly how Ron does it !!
I could not have said it better!

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB

Thanks!
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll put it on the same rack with the meat next time and see how it goes!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll put it on the same rack with the meat next time and see how it goes!

That is Good, but make it about 2" from the Meat.
You want it close enough to read the temp of the air in the area of the Meat, but far enough away from the Meat, so any cold meat (fresh from the fridge) doesn't affect the thermometer readings.
Enjoy!

Bear

I’m kind of like GMC. Don’t really check the pit temp much anymore. Of course I now have a pellet pooper, so really no need. But even with my Lang, I just let it run at what ever temp it settled into, and just kept feeding it wood, unless there was a reason that I needed to run at an exact temp, that is how I rolled.
Al

Reactions: JC in GB
That is Good, but make it about 2" from the Meat.
You want it close enough to read the temp of the air in the area of the Meat, but far enough away from the Meat, so any cold meat (fresh from the fridge) doesn't affect the thermometer readings.
Enjoy!

Bear
Thanks Bear...makes sense!

In my WSM, there are so many different temp zones, and they all vary by up to 50°F depending on probe placement.

Follow Bear's advice and make sure the probe isn't in the heat path to the exhaust or it will read much hotter than the rest of the chamber.

Not much more I can add to what's been said but I put my probe(s) as close to food as possible without impeding airflow to the probe(s).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky