Pizza Pepperoni

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I have a new Bradley P10 Smoker and it is time to try it out. We make a lot of homemade pizza and I like pepperoni made into a larger diameter sausage forpizzas. As I wanted to use the lower temperature of the Bradley to make sausages, Pizza Pepperoni would be a great place to start.

However, there is a problem. She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn’t like hot pepperoni and admonished me to make a mild version for our pizzas. She must be obeyed and I have made this version as a mild pepperoni that you can serve to kids or those of delicate demeanor.

To start, you need 1 kg (2.2 pounds) meat. You need between 10% to 20% fat content. I like a blend of pork and beef but a blend of game meat and pork is also delicious. It can be made of all beef or pork as well.

For this recipe, I used 400 grams (1 pound) of pork loin with a good fat layer and 600 grams (1.2 pounds) of regular ground beef.

I cut the pork loin into cubes and ground it through the medium plate on my meat grinder. I put the pork in the fridge to chill.

Pizza-Pepperoni-01.jpg

I made a slurry by mixing:

• 20 ml (4 teaspoons) kosher salt
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) buttermilk powder
  • 4 ml (3/4 teaspoon) coarse ground pepper
  • 4 ml (3/4 teaspoon) garlic powder
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) cayenne
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) fennel seed
  • 2.6 grams (2 ml) (2/5 teaspoon) Prague powder #1
  • 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) sugar
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) allspice
  • 75 ml (1/3 cup) ice water
Spread the pork and ground beef over a tray. Poke holes in the meat with your fingers and pour the slurry over the meat.

Pizza-Pepperoni-02.jpg

Mix the meat by folding it over in half, pressing down and then turning the tray 1/4 turn. Continue folding, pressing and turning for 3 minutes.

Put the meat in the fridge and chill for one hour.

Put the meat in the bowl of your stand mixer and attach the paddle. Beat at medium for two to three minutes until the meat is pasty and sticky.

Refrigerate the meat for 1 hour.

Pizza-Pepperoni-03.jpg

While the meat is chilling,

Soak a 2 1/2 inch diameter, 18 inch long, fibrous casing in warm water.

Using a sausage stuffer, stuff the casing with the meat mixture and Tie off the end. Put it in the fridge overnight.

Pizza-Pepperoni-04.jpg

I preheated my Bradley smoker to 140 F (60 C) without smoke. I hung the sausage in the smoker and smoked for 20 minutes without smoke. I started the smoke and continued cooking at 140 F (60 C) for 40 minutes more.

I increased the temperature to 150 F (65 C) and smoked and cooked for 1 hour.

Increased the temperature to 160 F (70 C) and cooked for 1 hour without smoke

I increased the temperature to 170 F (76 C) and cooked for 1 hour.

Increased the temperature to 180 F (82 C) and cooked until the internal temperature of the sausage was 155 F (68 C).

I put the sausage in ice water to stop the cooking and then I hung it at room temperature for 2 hours. Then, let it rest in the fridge overnight before serving.

Pizza-Pepperoni-05.jpg

Pizza Pepperoni 06.jpg

The Verdict

First, I will address how the Bradley did. I got it to do sausages and it turned out great. The temperatures were stable, the probes that came with the unit were accurate and I had total control over the smoke. It is perfect for making sausage.

As for the pepperoni, it taste good but wasn’t spicy enough. However, She Who Must Be Obeyed said it was a perfect level of spice. She is never wrong.

Sigh.

Disco

Wow and here I thought you were building a pizza on top of a piece of pepperoni. LOL. Nice job on that stick Disco. SWMBO is always correct.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great Disco! I do like the idea of having some not so spicy pepperoni for those that don't care for the spicier type

Ryan

Nice! Looks good! I Love pepperoni. I just made another batch today as well!!

Thanks! Enjoy the pepperoni you make and I hope you post it!

Nice piece of work Disco, happy wife happy life! RAY

Thanks, Ray. Those are true words.

Wow and here I thought you were building a pizza on top of a piece of pepperoni. LOL. Nice job on that stick Disco. SWMBO is always correct.

Point for sure
Chris

I appreciate the point, Chris!

Yes sir its amazing what we can do when obeying the one who must be obeyed.
Great looking sausage.

Warren

Thanks, Warren. 45 years has taught me my place.

Looks great Disco! I do like the idea of having some not so spicy pepperoni for those that don't care for the spicier type

Ryan

Kidding around aside, it is good to have some mild hanging around. Thanks for the kind words, Ryan.

Nice work man! Keeping the wife happy is for sure the #1 priority :emoji_laughing:

Thanks! You are absolutely right!

I plan on making this recipe this week. Couple questions: We like it a bit spicy. If I increase the black pepper from 4 to 5ml and increase the cayenne from 3 to 5ml would that be too much or not enough? Secondly, I don't have buttermilk powder but I do have encapsulated citric acid I could substitute for a little "tang." Any idea how much ECA would be appropriate?
Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky