pizza casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

My friend Gwen Denny posted this healthy recipe and it kinda set my mind off thinking of how I could twist this into an unhealthy smoker recipe :<).. Thoughts?

Who enjoys pizza, but not the carbs and guilt that come with it? 1f64b_200d_2640.png 1f64b_1f3fb_200d_2642.png I have a recipe for a healthy and delicious Supreme Pizza Casserole for you to try. 1f60b.png
Ingredients:
1 can (14.5 oz.) low sodium diced tomatoes
18 ounces uncooked turkey Italian sausage
Non-stick pan spray
½ tsp fresh-ground pepper or crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
12 oz. fresh mushrooms, washed and cut into thick slices
1 3/4 cups grated Mozzarella cheese (I used part-skim mozzarella)
15 slices turkey pepperoni, cut in half
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 8 inch x 11 glass casserole dish with non-stick spray. Pour the diced tomatoes into a colander placed in the sink and let tomatoes drain, then spread them out on paper towels to dry (or blot dry with another paper towel on top.) Cook sausage over medium-high heat and breaking it apart as it cooks. While sausage cooks, wash mushrooms, pat dry, and slice into thick slices. When the sausage is done make a layer of sausage in the bottom of the casserole dish and top with the drained tomatoes, spreading them out over the top of the sausage. Season with dried oregano, garlic, and fresh-ground black pepper. Rinse out the pan if needed, then heat the other 2 tsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot add the mushrooms and stirring a few times, until all the liquid is released and the mushrooms are starting to brown. Layer the mushrooms over the sausage-tomato mixture. Cut pepperoni in half. Sprinkle the grated Mozzarella over the top of the casserole and lay the pepperoni pieces on top of the cheese, spacing them evenly so the whole top is covered with pepperoni. Bake about 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Serve hot.

the first thing you do is replace the turkey sausage with some pulled pork.
LOL yeah 100% some replacement ingredients gonna be goin on. That sounds good. How would you keep the bottom from poolin greasy from the meats in that kinda casserole?

How about some smoked rice?

On this forum I’ve learned to ask myself the following questions:
1) Will it egg roll?
2) Will it pizza?
3) Will it taco?
4) Will it casserole? (translation: “Hot Dish,” for Minnesotans)

By making a pizza casserole, combining two of these questions, you may have inverted the edible universe.

On this forum I’ve learned to ask myself the following questions:
1) Will it egg roll?
2) Will it pizza?
3) Will it taco?
4) Will it casserole? (translation: “Hot Dish,” for Minnesotans)

By making a pizza casserole, combining two of these questions, you may have inverted the edible universe.
🤣 Is there a singularity theory for your four “hot dish” argument? Taco pizza egg roll casserole?

Sounds good, but but why not roll her up into a fatty and smoke it.

1654686929304.png

or smoke a deep dish pizza. This can be made without the crust.

1654687095728.png

Chris

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky