Pittboss 820

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom02

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2015
pa
Just bought a pitboss 820 and was wondering what are you guys thoughts on this smoker. Thanks

I have been using its little brother, the 700, for a bit over a year now. Generally happy with it. I've had a few issues - motor broke away from its mount, and more recently, the temp probe went wonky on me. Pit Boss was quite helpful in getting free replacement parts out to me on both occasions. I will say that if you need to contact them, do it by phone. I had no response to multiple support requests on their website, but it was a world of difference once I finally broke down and called in. For the second incident, I just replied to the email from the previous case and received quick support.

I have been using its little brother, the 700, for a bit over a year now. Generally happy with it. I've had a few issues - motor broke away from its mount, and more recently, the temp probe went wonky on me. Pit Boss was quite helpful in getting free replacement parts out to me on both occasions. I will say that if you need to contact them, do it by phone. I had no response to multiple support requests on their website, but it was a world of difference once I finally broke down and called in. For the second incident, I just replied to the email from the previous case and received quick support.
I played with it a little bit last night and the temp swings are terrible.. Plus i had it set at 250 and my therma pro was reading 300.. Any tips or suggestions.

Not sure what to tell you there - my temp swings aren't too bad, especially once it gets going.

I have the 820 deluxe and I have the same temp swings at low temps. If I want to smoke something at 225 then I use the smoke setting with a pid of 0 or 1. It will hold the temp within 5* or so that way.

My unit holds real steady from 300 and above using the temp dial.

I played with it a little bit last night and the temp swings are terrible.. Plus i had it set at 250 and my therma pro was reading 300.. Any tips or suggestions.
Had the same issue with my PB. 100 degree swings, it was awful. I returned it and put down an extra $100 for a CC Smokepro STX and super happy.

Got it figured out first brisket on it

Attachments

• 20171209_141337.jpg
    20171209_141337.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 56
Looks great. I have both an 820 and 700. I bought the 700 thinking I was going to take it to work with me. Used it at home and loved it. I ran into a guy in town who was using 3 820's for his buisness, BBQ food truck. He up graded to a vertical commercial smoker and said he was selling his 820's. So I took one of his hands for cheap, Brought it to work and have used it all summer. Had to change the thermometer it crapped out finally. He figured to have put about 3000# of meat through each of them for his business. I cleaned it up and have put 400+ lbs through it this summer / fall. I have had great luck with it, temp swings were not bad compared to the traegar we were using. Cust. service was excellent over the phone. They looked it up and I gave them a brief history on it and was told that was a great run for having no issues. I really am happy with the Pitboss product.

Brisket looks yummy.. ;)

P.S. What did you do to figure it out? Did you use the smoke setting or did you use the temp dial? Any help would be appreciated..
I used the smoke setting on p1 overnight and early thismorning i used the dial temp at 200 which was actually 230

Just bought a pitboss 820 and was wondering what are you guys thoughts on this smoker. Thanks
The set temp is a low/start temp. When u turn it up or down the temp wil rise. Mine always settles in to within 20 degrees or so. With a meat probe there is no problem.

Good looking brisket! Smoke ring is a good one too! I'm still comparing and will probably pull the trigger on one soon

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky