PitBoss pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FlyFishinX2

Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Hershey,PA
I saw PitBoss pellets for sale at Walmart for something like $8.88 and these would be the cheapest pellets I've seen to date.
Knowing that PitBoss is kind of a cheaper/less quality grill I was wondering if their pellets are the same.

Anyone use them and how do they compare to other pellets?

Their pellets are fine, but be aware that they are not 100% of the source wood stated. They are blended - probably contain about 60% of oak or alder.

They do a good job.

don't be afraid to try them.

make up your own mind before being pressured into buying a specific brand, or from a specific sponsor.

Knowing that PitBoss is kind of a cheaper/less quality grill

I disagree with this statement entirely. After looking at the Pit Boss grills compared to Camp Chef, Green Mountain Grills and Traeger, the Pit Boss grills appeared to be more heavy duty and more sturdy than the others with some cool features the others don't have like the searing option, and a lower price to boot. Lower price does not always mean inferior product.

I bought a few bags of the pit Boss Hickory pellets from Walmart when I bought my grill. They were not bad, but I definitely found that I like the Lumber Jack pellets more, especially their Char Hickory pellets.

I use the Pit Boss pellets all the time. As others stated they are blends but I like them just fine. Are others better? Maybe, but you won't ruin a cook or waste your money buying a bag.

No experience with PB pellets, but yesterday I did see a 40 pound bag of pellets at Sam's club for $14.99. was tempted to grab a bag or two and test them

They work ok,I prefer Lumber Jack and really haven't found any that I wouldn't use again,you will hear talk about more ash from some but my findings indicate the lower temps will produce a lot more ash, higher=less keep track and see what your findings are

Pit boss competition blend was the first pellets that I used on my grill when I first got my grill. I found them to be very mild in flavor, but a really good fuel source for high heat short cooks like a quick burger, steak or chicken. They burned very clean with little ash slow or fast.
I then tried BBQ delight pellets, these had better smoke flavor but not substantially so. They were probably double the price of the Pit Boss pellets here in Canada.
Then I tried the Lumberjack pellets (char hickory, competition blend and Apple) these have given by far the best tasting smoke flavor that I have tried of any of the pellets. I will continue to use Lumberjack from now on and think they are definitely a superior product, again about the same price of the BBQ delight pellets in Canada.
I think that pellets like the Pit Boss pellets have there place and are a fine product. If you have an easy way of changing out pellets I think the cheaper pellets like Pit Boss are a great fuel source if you need to burn alot of pellets. When you need something with more flavor switch out to something like lumberjack. I keep a number of bags of pellets and just switch them out as required.

I use Pit Boss Competition blend a lot. 40 #s for $15.00 at Lowes . Nice middle of the road flavors for most meats. One of the nicest features of my Pit Boss XL pro 1100 is the trap door on the back of the 35# pellet hopper. You can let the pellets run out into a bucket, and easily change flavors.
I am no expert, but I have been smoking meat, poultry, game, fish, cheese, sausage, jerky, nuts, salt, and a few miscellaneous other edibles since 1974. I've used a lot of different kinds of smokers, and honestly, I can't find fault with Pit Boss. Diamond pattern porcelain coated cast iron cooking grids, 35 pound hopper, dual probes, huge capacity, flame broiler, adjustable chimney, heavy overall construction, drop down front table, nice size side table with tool hooks on the front, good smoke retention, I could go on, but you get the idea. Cheap, poor quality, or poorly made ? NO WAY ! Competitively priced ? You bet .

Last edited:
Notice he didn't state what he was driving lol

I bought our Pit Boss 820 back in Feb. this year and have since burned over a 120# of Comp. Blend and 100# of apple. We like a softer wood smoke flavor. The combination of the 820 and their branded pellet gives us what we like. Nobody in the family complains and neither do the neighbors when they get their little "Thank You" packages.

Chevy vs Ford. Depends on what tastes good to YOU. Give them a try, for $9 you can't go wrong. If you like the flavor, keep using them. If not, try something else.

Personally I think they are okay; not the best tasting (to me) but not the worst either.

I saw PitBoss pellets for sale at Walmart for something like $8.88 and these would be the cheapest pellets I've seen to date.
Knowing that PitBoss is kind of a cheaper/less quality grill I was wondering if their pellets are the same.

Anyone use them and how do they compare to other pellets?
Hi there and welcome!

I use the Pit Boss Competition Blend (PBCB) as my "general" pellet. I use them in my A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray to produce smoke for my electric smoker.
The PBCB are quite mild so I mix them half and half with 100% Hickory pellets. This gives me about a 65% hickory and the 35% is cherry/maple. I don't like using more than about 70% hickory because it makes everything taste like bacon to me so I primarily blend the PBCB with hickory OR I do a double burn of the PBCB on chicken and such to get much more smoke flavor.

Now, if I was a Pellet Smoker guy I would exclusively burn Pit Boss pellets as my heat source because they are the most inexpensive pellet I can readily get my hands on. I would use the AMNPS tube to burn Lumber Jack 100% pellets for smoke flavor... if I were a Pellet Smoker guy.

My go to pellets are the 100% Lumberjack pellets. They are awesome! But I wouldn't burn up those good and expensive Lumberjack Pellets as my heat source if I were a Pellet Smoker guy. The Lumberjack are great for flavor in my AMNPS with my electric smoker though.

This is all my opinion on the topic and others may have a different approach. The main thing is to do what you feel good about and produces enjoyable food for you.
I hope this info helps! :)

But I wouldn't burn up those good and expensive Lumberjack Pellets as my heat source if I were a Pellet Smoker guy.

Yeah, but if you were a pellet smoker guy you'd be burning enough pellets to justify buying in greater quantity, making LumberJack one of the least expensive pellets you can buy. I get them delivered to California for about $8/20lb. I don't bother burning anything else for high heat cooks, as I can't get anything cheaper.

Yeah, but if you were a pellet smoker guy you'd be burning enough pellets to justify buying in greater quantity, making LumberJack one of the least expensive pellets you can buy. I get them delivered to California for about $8/20lb. I don't bother burning anything else for high heat cooks, as I can't get anything cheaper.

Where are you getting lumberjack pellets for$8 per 20 pounds? And what quantity are you buying to get that price?

$8.99 at Rural King any day 1 bag or 50,they had a sale a week ago for $4.99

It costs $25 Canadian for a 20lb bag of lumberjack pellets here in Calgary. I only wish I could get them for $9

Last edited:
Making a trip to the states in a month or so I will most likely pick up some bags of lumberjack then.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky