Pit paint?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brute

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 6, 2015
San Antonio, Texas
Quick question. My pit's needing a fresh coat of high temp paint. I've used rustoleum in the past but was wondering what everyone else uses or do you let nature take its toll? Been thinking about having it powder coated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Stephen

Thanks for the tip on Stove Black. Hadn’t heard of it. There’s a spot on my firebox id like to touch up...

Wear disposable gloves...
Oh, and don't rub your nose no matter how much it itches. You'll wind up looking like your dog.... :confused:

Powder coat is not very heat resistant over 450*f. It begins to soften and will eventually melt away. I cant speak for the Rustoleum as I have never used it for a firebox. So far the best high temperature paint I have used was Carboline Thermaline 4700. Its an industrial grade epoxy so it may be a little overkill.

I do the Pam thing and it does work. I have no rust, just one particular area I guess due to so much use/heat, looks a little dull.

Oil of some sort will act as a barrier between the metal and the elements. Pam is an easy apply for my smoker. I will be painting the firebox just because of the heat it gets. I'm gonna use high temp rustoleum for it though.

I use High Temp Rustoleum Flat Black on the fire box to touch up exterior spots as need. Spray cooking oil for the interior of the firebox and cooking chamber.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky