Pit Masters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2009
WTF, This is a bullchit season. To send someone home because they couldmn't fry catfish???

Horrible what they did to this season, I will not be watching this season. Warren sapp??? really???? He called the bark on the pork "sear".

LOL  Sear.  I thought that was hilarious. My wife even called him a dumbass.  I bet Myron slapped the shit outta him when they moved the cameras.  "That silly SOB dont know nuttin about BBQ"  I can hear it now. LOL

WTF, This is a bullchit season. To send someone home because they couldmn't fry catfish???
I agree. A big disapointment.

Hmm two threads??? As I said in the other one I thought at the start they said Pulled Pork so how did that become Sliced Pork?? I think I would have told them where they could put that catfish. I watched tonight but doubt I'll be watching much more of it I didn't watch much of last season because of the drama and this season these bs things are gonna be even worse

Wow - this is just about to start here in CA so I guess I am in for a huge groan based on these comments

Last edited:
I thought I was watching another dumb ass cooking challenge show on the FoodNetwork challenge channel.  The fits right in with FoodNetwork line up.  They should move it from TLC because I am not learning a damn thing.

Welcome to the world of reality TV. It sucks and I just can't bring myself to watch it anymore. It has absolutely nothing to do with what it's REALLY about, they want drama and BS. I'm done with this mess.

Are they going to re air these episodes on Sunday mornings like last time?  It may not be worth it staying up this evening to watch .

I am soooo pissed off for watching this all the way thru

TOTAL CRAP - This is no BBQ contest at all when the winner of a pulled pork contest wins with sliced pork instead of pulled and his coleslaw is the deciding factor? WTF 

I tried to find a way to comment at TLC website and the only comment link is  for commenting on sponsors

So the winner is the cowgirl cause she was the only one made pulled pork. But hey the dude with the long hair and hat probably would have listened to the rules and done gooood pulled pork. Now should the cowgirl have been disqualified for attempting to use propane. Myron should have shut up and they would have had to disqualify her. OOhhhh the drama. That's what i like about the site not much drama but you could learn more in 3 minutes here than watching 30 seasons of a show like that.

As soon as technology can develop a sniff and taste application the true pitmasters here can't be judges and I always find judges to be overated too many work as the gatekeepers to the crowbar hotel.  

Hype and Drama.......

Catfish?

Coleslaw?

Will the winner of the $100,000 get it because He/She has the coolest BBQ Pit?

Last night was a huge disappointment!  Better off watching Bearenstein Bears with my 5 year old!

Todd

Last edited:
I didn't get to watch very much of it because of the bad storms around here to my dish was constantly going out. I was really surprised to see Warren Sapp as a judge. The judge on the far right seemed to be some type of food critic and didn't know much about BBQ but I couldn't really tell as I could only hear bits and pieces. Myron appeared to be the only judge worthy of being a BBQ judge. I will check out next week so I can actually watch the thing and see if they change anything from the first week. My guess is no.

I didn't get to watch very much of it because of the bad storms around here to my dish was constantly going out. I was really surprised to see Warren Sapp as a judge. The judge on the far right seemed to be some type of food critic and didn't know much about BBQ but I couldn't really tell as I could only hear bits and pieces. Myron appeared to be the only judge worthy of being a BBQ judge. I will check out next week so I can actually watch the thing and see if they change anything from the first week. My guess is no.
Art Smith is a cookbook author, famous restaruanteur and food critic but has most likely never seen a pit until this competition. He did win the James Beard award which is pretty prestigious but that does not give him BBQ chops.  Warren Sapp? give me a break

This show is not a real competition but a Food Network style competition and my guess is that all the episodes are already shot and edited

WOW! I thought I was the only one that felt this way! When are they going to pick up a camera & follow some of these guys (from afar of course) through a REAL competiton. Maybe they were strapped on time, but i noticed some of them were cooking at temps of 270 to 300 & then as evryone has pointed out it was SLICED??

I owe everyone that commented in this thread a thank you. I am now no longer disappointed for missing last nights show.

Being fairly new to smoking I hoped to learn something about pulled pork on this show. About the only thing I learned is pulled pork can be made in very thick slices. It was a hugh disappointment.

Art Smith is a cookbook author, famous restaruanteur and food critic but has most likely never seen a pit until this competition. He did win the James Beard award which is pretty prestigious but that does not give him BBQ chops.  Warren Sapp? give me a break

This show is not a real competition but a Food Network style competition and my guess is that all the episodes are already shot and edited

You are right about all the episodes allready in the can. They started shooting back in mid april and finished in june from what i've been told.

Quote:
Being fairly new to smoking I hoped to learn something about pulled pork on this show. About the only thing I learned is pulled pork can be made in very thick slices. It was a hugh disappointment.
Walt-everything you want to learn about BBQ you can learn right here at SMF University!!
biggrin.gif

WOW-I would have thought real smokers would understand pulled pork is simply the preparation and cooking of a pork shoulder or butt, it makes no difference how its presented, sliced, hand pulled or schreaded in the traditonal style. I have personally seen sliced pork just like in the show take third in a major comp which allowed the team to take home $8,750 at the end of the day

As far as you guys crying about the side dishes, here in Iowa there was over $5,000 to be won from side dish categories at comps in the last 12 months, some were restricted like this and there was only one choice on what to make, others you had guys turning in beans to go up against slaw which was going up against apple cobbler. I know most of you are so cool you go to contests hoping not to win and just piss away $600 or $800 but some people will take a $250-$750 side dish prize with pride and use it to go to another comp later down the line. .  

I agree the new format is goofy but it wasn't like there was alot to be learned from the show, Lurking around this very website for the 6 or whatever hours could probably teach you more about que than the six episodes last year IMO

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky