Pit Boss - over-smoked jerkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SGaron

Original poster
May 18, 2019
i have a PitBoss series 5. I made a batch of jerky using Bear’s method (long drying process with small increases in temp). However because even the lowest temp produces smoke it resulted in an over-smoked taste (but excellent texture). How do I reduce the smoke flavour? Do I just empty the hopper an run the until without pellets until the last hour or so? I’m worried that might damage the unit? Thoughts?

If you empty the hopper. What temp will your Pellet smoker get to with No Pellets?

Once you get the jerky to 160 and have enough smoke on it, you can finish it in a low oven, door cracked an inch or so. You can even stack the drying racks on a table in front of a fan...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
Smoke for 1 hr or whenever you feel you have enuf smoke then turn temp up on smoker as it makes less smoke the higher you go. You might try a higher temperature to begine with, just remember o pellets no smoke or heat lol

Smoke for 1 hr or whenever you feel you have enuf smoke then turn temp up on smoker as it makes less smoke the higher you go. You might try a higher temperature to begine with, just remember o pellets no smoke or heat lol

Mike, sounds like a good idea, but going above the Smoke temp on a Pellet Smoker, about 180, will Cook the meat not dehydrate it. It will taste good but not exactly Jerky...JJ

Mike, sounds like a good idea, but going above the Smoke temp on a Pellet Smoker, about 180, will Cook the meat not dehydrate it. It will taste good but not exactly Jerky...JJ
I am going to try this, this weekend see how it comes out. What actually would you consider it cooked beef sticks haha. If it does not come out good i may look into picking up a dehydrator.

I am going to try this, this weekend see how it comes out. What actually would you consider it cooked beef sticks haha. If it does not come out good i may look into picking up a dehydrator.

Start a new thread with your procedure. Should be interesting...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky