Pit Boss at Menards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

andrewst35

Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
I see Menards has the Pit Boss 820. The price is $499. Does anyone have experience with this pellet grill? Dansen makes the grill for Menards. Looks like a Trailer knock off. Any suggestions or reviews would be appreciated.

I don't know anything about it directly and don't know anyone who owns one...but I went to their website to look at it.  Looks like a decent rig for the money.

Red

Ya I called Dansen about their Pit Boss. 1 yr warranty and weighs about 145#. The rep told me it should cost about $650 but Menards will sell for $499. Same features as the Traeger bit goes to 500 degrees. I'll probably pull the trigger when I can and possibly do a write up.

Ya I called Dansen about their Pit Boss. 1 yr warranty and weighs about 145#. The rep told me it should cost about $650 but Menards will sell for $499. Same features as the Traeger bit goes to 500 degrees. I'll probably pull the trigger when I can and possibly do a write up.
Sounds good!  You may be the first member here to own one of those...so I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about it.

Red

I'm one that likes best bang for the buck. If I can get Traeger quality but for less. Well then...

I'm one that likes best bang for the buck. If I can get Traeger quality but for less. Well then...

Traeger quality?
Danson used to make grills for Fast Eddy Maurin before Cookshack started making them. I haven't seen the Menards grill but the Danson's I've seen looked like good quality.

I also saw  this at Menards yesterday. Price was $499.  Does this look like something I would regret buying. What would be the big differences between this and Louisianna 570.  The Pit Boss is about half price. Guessing corners were cut somewhere. I thought it was made of 16 gauge steel so it may not be as thick.

http://www.pitboss-grills.com/grills/pit-boss-820

Ya Danson told me the electronics are good for 3 to 5 years. If you'd have regrets buying this, then what would you recommend at my price range?

Maybe I'd be better off with a dedicated smoker. I usually do ribs, brisket and pork butt. Any suggestions? Masterbuilt, Bradley?

Heck I think I'm better off buying the Weber Performer Platinum. Save for Green Mountain Daniel Boone.

monster grills! then they have add-ons you can get like a charcoal basket so you can do indirect smoking and rotisseries....endless possibilities weber makes for you to use

Bought this grill/smoker (Pitboss 820) at Menards on Tuesday and am very impressed so far with the quality.  It is heavy duty steel with a nice powder-coat finish.  Got up early Wednesday and assembled it, did the initial start up and burn off on high for about 30 minutes (it got up to temp fast btw), then threw a pork butt on about 1030 am and smoked it for about 9 hours.  The pulled pork was amazing.  I used a mix of pitboss pellets, apple and hickory.   I really wanted a Rec-Tec, but couldn't justify spending $1000 when I already had a really good, $500 gas grill (Tru-Infared Performance series), but when I saw the pitboss for 499 and it looked very solid, I couldn't resist.  I doubt you can find a better pellet grill for under $600.   Sure, the warranty is only 1 year parts, but I can buy TWO of them for the price of a Traeger Texas Grill or Rec-Tec, and it's comparable in size to both.   It gets hotter than the Traeger too, from what I've read, but maybe not as hot as the Rec-Tec.   I still have my gas grill for high heat grilling, but will use this for smoking and roasting.  I LOVE IT so far and feel I got a great deal.   Best of luck and happy grilling!

Bought this grill/smoker (Pitboss 820) at Menards on Tuesday and am very impressed so far with the quality.  It is heavy duty steel with a nice powder-coat finish.  Got up early Wednesday and assembled it, did the initial start up and burn off on high for about 30 minutes (it got up to temp fast btw), then threw a pork butt on about 1030 am and smoked it for about 9 hours.  The pulled pork was amazing.  I used a mix of pitboss pellets, apple and hickory.   I really wanted a Rec-Tec, but couldn't justify spending $1000 when I already had a really good, $500 gas grill (Tru-Infared Performance series), but when I saw the pitboss for 499 and it looked very solid, I couldn't resist.  I doubt you can find a better pellet grill for under $600.   Sure, the warranty is only 1 year parts, but I can buy TWO of them for the price of a Traeger Texas Grill or Rec-Tec, and it's comparable in size to both.   It gets hotter than the Traeger too, from what I've read, but maybe not as hot as the Rec-Tec.   I still have my gas grill for high heat grilling, but will use this for smoking and roasting.  I LOVE IT so far and feel I got a great deal.   Best of luck and happy grilling!
Congrats jamyj!  I've not seen one of those pits yet, but it sounds like a good pit at a good price.  I'd love to hear a little more about it (controller, temp range, smoke production, capacity, etc.), and see some pics of it in action.  

Red

Thanks Red.  It's the Pitboss 820; pics and specs at pitboss-grills.com.   It has a digital controller that has a "smoke" setting that you can fine tune from 170-220 degrees, and then it has cook settings at 200, 225, 250, on up to 500 degrees.   The hopper holds 20 lbs of pellets, I believe.  I've only used it once so far, but plan on doing some chicken tomorrow and a brisket on Monday. The main grilling surface is about 20" x 30", and the upper rack is about 8"x 30".   I noticed when I unpacked it from the box every piece felt good and heavy, from the legs, the lid, the flame deflector, etc.  I think the grill is right about 150 lbs, so it's nice and heavy.   Loving it so far!  As for the money, I think you'd be hard pressed to find more of a wood pellet smoker/grill anywhere near this price.  I know there are better units out there, but not everyone has $1000 to just drop down on a bbq.  And from what I can tell so far, this one will do everything a Traeger will do.

Hey guys, after using it 3 times I've got to retract my comments about the Pitboss 820 from Menards.  I can't get it to hold lower temperatures.   On the "smoke" setting it routinely climbs into the 280-290 range.  And set at 200 degrees (lowest cook setting) it floats between 220 and 270.    Also Dansen's customer service is not helpful at all.   Taking it back today and ordering a Rec-Tec.   Happy Grilling

Hey guys, after using it 3 times I've got to retract my comments about the Pitboss 820 from Menards.  I can't get it to hold lower temperatures.   On the "smoke" setting it routinely climbs into the 280-290 range.  And set at 200 degrees (lowest cook setting) it floats between 220 and 270.    Also Dansen's customer service is not helpful at all.   Taking it back today and ordering a Rec-Tec.   Happy Grilling
That sucks about the Menards pitboss smoker as well as the customer service! 

You will defiantly have Excellent customer service from the Rec Tec people and I'm sure you will Love the Rec Tec! I also ordered one after looking everywhere and not being able to find any negative comments about them. 

Be sure to post some pics when you get the new toy!

Sorry to hear it jamyj.  I think we come to expect great customer service from most vendors in the BBQ/Smoking world...it's surprising when I hear of one of them not standing behind their product with good customer service.  You won't have to worry about that with Rec Tec...they're good people with outstanding customer service.

Red

Thanks guys.  Got my Rectec on order and am really excited.  Ended up spending more than I wanted but sometimes you get what you pay for, I guess.  The guy at RecTec was really nice on the phone, gave me a discount on shipping, and threw in 80 lbs of pellets for free.  I was really impressed with the customer service.

Here's my final opinion of the Pitboss 820 from Menards.  It did work, but the control unit is not that accurate.  If you want to grill with wood pellets between 250-475 degrees, it will be a great grill for someone.  If you want to smoke at 180-225 degrees, it would NOT hold lower temperatures whatsoever.  It's sad because I was REALLY excited to have a wood pellet grill at $500, but I purchased it primarily for smoking and it just can't hold those lower temps I needed.   Also, keep in mind it has been 35-40 degrees outside in South Dakota where I am.  I can only imagine how overly hot the Pitboss 820 would have gotten this summer.

I would like to give credit to Menards for taking it back no questions asked.  I called and explained to them the problem, as well as the fact that Pitboss customer service would not help me at all, and they said to bring it back no questions asked.   Thanks Menards!

Reactions: kerstingm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky