Pit boss 820 not starting?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bumrush

Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
New to the forums I hope this is in the correct thread. I have an older Pitt boss 820 about 5 years old with only about 8 smokes on it. Went to start it today and the lighting rod would not get hot. Tried about 4 times cleaning the burn pot out and retrying. Finally had to light it with a torch. Anyone know what's going on?

The rods are a consumable item. They go bad and are easily replaced. They last longer than 8 cooks but it is the easiest place to start...JJ

How do you replace them? I just inherited this thing as my brother passed away a couple years ago. It's been sitting and so I decided to put it to use. This is my 4th time using it.

If you've got a multi meter, unplug the connection to the hot rod and check the resistance - should be in the neighborhood of 50 ohms I believe. If it's open, the rod is bad. If the ohms look good, the controller is bad or there's a bad connection to the hot rod somewhere.

Reactions: BigTurtle
Search the Pit Boss website for the manual for your unit. YouTube may be a source as well...JJ

Update! Now the dam thing is working fine. Pulled what I believed to be the pig tail plug and reattached it. Now I need to know how to calibrate the digital thermometer? I need to verify with my remote thermometer. Can the digital thermometer be calibrated or replaced?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky