Pit Boss 820 Issues Post-Move

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nolan Thomas

Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Hey guys, I recently moved and was able to move my Pit Boss 820 Pellet Grill fully assembled. However, I did have to roll it through my backyard and over some rough terrain. I'm worried that I've knocked something loose. When I plug the grill in now, the LCD seems to be just slightly backlit, but no numbers or messages pop up on the screen and the grill won't turn on. What could I have knocked loose, and what steps should I take to get it back up and running?

I can’t offer any advice other then crack it open and take look for loose things. I am glad you posted this though. I have to roll my Pit Boss across brick pavers to get to my cooking area and it gets pretty rattled. Hopefully I’m not headed for trouble.

Reactions: RCAlan
Hey guys, I recently moved and was able to move my Pit Boss 820 Pellet Grill fully assembled. However, I did have to roll it through my backyard and over some rough terrain. I'm worried that I've knocked something loose. When I plug the grill in now, the LCD seems to be just slightly backlit, but no numbers or messages pop up on the screen and the grill won't turn on. What could I have knocked loose, and what steps should I take to get it back up and running?

As Meat Fighter posted, you’re going to have to open your PB 820 up to get access to the controller to see if any of the connections are loose... I would also reach out to Pit Boss’s Customer Service first and tell them what happened and get their input and steps on how to rectify the problem. PB’s Customer Service is open 7 days a week. Good luck and post back on how everything turns out.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Sounds like you're living in a new place , did you make sure the power source is good ?

Thanks for the help guys. I turned the grill over and removed the screws from below the fan to take off the plate that covers the bottom of the hopper. We had to hacksaw one off because the screws were in so tight and we stripped one. I didn’t find any loose connections but did see a bent heat sink which I bent back. When I tried the grill again it worked! I don’t really know what I did but I imagine we probably jostled something back into place that we had jostled out of place during the move.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky