Pintos-N-Hock

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Another pot of pinto beans.

Recipe below, its an easy one and you can add whatever you like.

I did an over night soak. Discard the soaking water and add fresh for cooking.
Yes season the beans, salt, pepper, bay leaf, conc chicken bullion and then season to tase down the line.
bnh.JPG

I used a small ham hock.
bnh1.JPG

bnh2.JPG

bnh3.JPG

bnh4.JPG

bnh5.JPG

bnh5.JPG

I smoosh a few up

bnh6.JPG

bnh7.jpg

1 16 oz bag of pinto bean
2 tsp olive oil or bacon grease. (i used the grease here)
1 small yellow onion - diced
2 cloves garlic - minced
4 slices of thick cut applewood smoked bacon - cut into 1 inch pieces (i used a hock)
½ tsp salt
4 tsp chicken broth concentrate (better than bullion jar)
1 bay leaf

Rinse the bag of beans well and remove any that look like they are past their prime. If unsure - chuck it.

Pour the beans into a large bowl and cover with at least 2 inches of water and allow to soak overnight. Alternately, you can boil the beans at a steady boil for about 10 minutes before you begin to cook them. Whether you soak or parboil, pour the water off from this step.

In a six quart stock pot on medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until they smell really good and the pieces become translucent.

Remove the pot from the heat and add the beans, bacon, salt, chicken broth concentrate and one bay leaf and enough cool clean water to cover the beans by 2 inches. (If you are sensitive to salt, then you can always decrease the amount)

Heat the beans on medium until they come to a light boil then reduce the heat to low. If you use a lid tilt it slightly out of the pan. You may need some hot water to add later.

Stir the beans occasionally and don’t let them get to a strong boil. Cook until done. I tell doneness by tasting - you could also spoon some out and smash it in your fingers. If it is smashy- through and through - they are done.

I was hoping to see those hocks in action! Bean and hocks are a fav here. Yours look killer!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky