Pinto Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Got a pot of beans going. Everyone seems to love these.

Here is my secret ingredient. A nice dose of ham broth. I will usual find a whole ham discounted after holidays and bake it for the juices for my beans.

20210110_093900.jpg

Spices. That cardamom one of those spices that get people tryng to figure out what that is in there. Does not take much. Bought a coffee grinder for pepper. Man what a good job it does and really fast. That and my EVO oil sprayer my favorite kitchen toys.

20210110_093933.jpg 20210110_094136.jpg

A onion and some ham hocks go in. I prefer hocks over ham for my beans.

20210110_093955.jpg

Cover with water and simmer. Never boil your beans. It will make them tough. About 1 1/2 hours remove hocks to cool then shred meat and add back at end. Usually beans pretty tender in about 2.5 hours for me. I add another dose of black pepper at the end. I just remembered forgot jalapeno's and cayenne.

20210110_094208.jpg

I miss my old friend Marc Thompson that passed. He had several big party a year and his friend Colorado Bob would bring sacks of Colorado Beans with him when he came. They where the best! I never eat beans until the next day. They get alot better. If done right they will be pretty much solid coming out of the fridge from the gelatin. Thanks for looking.

Done

20210110_125206.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious, it must be soup month, cause we just made a batch of black-eyed peas, in our bean soup, pretty much the same as yours, but we put bacon & collard greens in it too, with the hocks. Actually I’m having the last bowl for lunch today. Good stuff for this cold weather we have been having down here.
Al

Looks delicious, it must be soup month, cause we just made a batch of black-eyed peas, in our bean soup, pretty much the same as yours, but we put bacon & collard greens in it too, with the hocks. Actually I’m having the last bowl for lunch today. Good stuff for this cold weather we have been having down here.
Al
That a good idea putting greens in there.

got plans for beans, left over ham from the holidays, and cornbread one day this week while im off. Yours sounds darn good.
Jim

I'm liking those Brian!! Weather forecast for today has been calling for terrible weather since early in the week. We got it. Cold, rain earlier now heavy snow, and sleet coming later. I planned chili and cornbread but a couple days ago I started thinking ham hocks and beans. My plan changed to that but it got over ruled by upper management and now chili is going. Rest assured though, you hit a soft spot for me with those beans. I'll be doing some soon, I guarantee you that!! Thanks for posting.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm liking those Brian!! Weather forecast for today has been calling for terrible weather since early in the week. We got it. Cold, rain earlier now heavy snow, and sleet coming later. I planned chili and cornbread but a couple days ago I started thinking ham hocks and beans. My plan changed to that but it got over ruled by upper management and now chili is going. Rest assured though, you hit a soft spot for me with those beans. I'll be doing some soon, I guarantee you that!! Thanks for posting.

Robert
It cold up here in Sherman. Worked on hot tub this morning and hands where froze.

Reactions: JLeonard
Lookin like the Beans are off to a good start. Please give me some more info on the Coffee Grinder. Who makes it, where are they sold and anything else you can say about it. Is the grind adjustable? Thanks...JJ

Lookin like the Beans are off to a good start. Please give me some more info on the Coffee Grinder. Who makes it, where are they sold and anything else you can say about it. Is the grind adjustable? Thanks...JJ
Pretty cheap and will grind as fine or as coarse as you want it and very fast.

AVNICUD Manual Coffee Grinder Having trouble link posting. www.amazon.com/AVNICUD-Adjustable-Triangular-Stainless-Foldable/dp/B089LQYL56/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=AVNICUD+Manual+Coffee+Grinder&qid=1610306017&s=home-garden&sr=1-5

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks Brian! That is really nice and a much better price than the mills I was looking at...JJ

Brian, what is your little EVO sprayer toy ? I've tried a couple small sprayers and work about 1 time and that's it. I gave up.

Brian, what is your little EVO sprayer toy ? I've tried a couple small sprayers and work about 1 time and that's it. I gave up.
After wasting my money on several sprayers I found this one. Works very well. $25 but worth ever penny to me. It sprays a fairly wide spray. Another thing I like is you know when add oil to a pan it all goes to to side. With this oil stays where you spray it. I think they have a new model out.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PKQV4SP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterrider
After wasting my money on several sprayers I found this one. Works very well. $25 but worth ever penny to me. It sprays a fairly wide spray. Another thing I like is you know when add oil to a pan it all goes to to side. With this oil stays where you spray it. I think they have a new model out.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PKQV4SP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks Brian, will try that one.

Must be a hot item, out of stock right now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky