Pink slime

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This needs to be stopped.........Pink slime versus the consumers................
jk.gif

I agree with you chef all studys can be tricked into saying what the owner of the studys say . How else did all of these drugs get approved that are now under class action law suites. I think they need to go after the people who lie on the studys and doctors that put profit before pacitents. But haveing human ginney pigs is not the anwser for amonia or untested drugs. I am involed in this becase my mother has a damaged liver from takeing what the doctor prescribed. Their was no big pay off just a fund set aside to pay for her to have it tested regularly. We as citizens should demand for more honesty in all aspects of our day to day life. We need to hand over people that put profite before people to those hurt by their greed and if a few heads roll so be it. Ok I'll get off my soap box.:devil:

Last edited:
 We as citizens should demand for more honesty in all aspects of our day to day life. We need to hand over people that put profite before people to those hurt by their greed and if a few heads roll so be it.
i couldn't agree more..........

Please read!!! I posted links below that everyone should look into. The reason I'm on this site is to start making and preserving my own food to cut out terrible additives in foods.

I Think that it's scary. I know the FDA says that its "safe" but I mean really... do we trust what an organization says that is responsible for poisoning people? I'm not a conspiracy theory type of person, but I've been reading a book by Kevin Trudeau called Natural Cures. This book is amazing and I highly highly recommend it to everyone.. and I mean EVERYONE. People don't understand that the healthcare industry is the biggest industry in the world... Bigger than oil industry. They make billions upon billions of dollars and knowingly pass dangerous and deadly drugs into the market. Because it is such a big industry it is protected by the FDA, The FDA passed a law saying "only a drug can prevent or cure a disease." Then in order to get a patent for a "drug" it costs millions of $ in research. Congress also passed a law allowing the FDA to receive a major amount of funding FROM PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES. So in other words, the people who are creating these "drugs" are paying the salary of people who are deciding weather they are "safe" for the market. Scarier fact: The FDA has their own court with their own judges. You make a claim that an herb or product can prevent or cure a disease without getting the drug patent expect them to be knocking on your door, taking your computers and product and shutting you down. Then try to win your case against them, against their lawyers, judges, and legal system. It's not just the FDA either, they're in line with many other companies, charities, organizations, such as the USDA which is responsible for what foods we can and cannot eat, what chemicals and preservatives are allowed in our food. I may sound crazy but it's all true. If you think I'm nuts do your own research on some of those hard to pronounce ingredients in your food and drinks. Between the FDA and USDA harmful and fatal chemicals and substances are KNOWINGLY being put into peoples food.

An article I linked below also states that last year Mcdonalds stopped using their pink slime product in their beef. that should give you an idea of how bad it is.. If Mcdonalds isn't ok with using it that's scary.

In the case of this Pink slime, the fat is separated from the meat to make it more healthy and lean because our country has an "obesity problem" the meat also goes through a bleaching process which they claim is safe as well. That is the part that gets me. Bleaching and altering foods in that manner are not good. The pink slime is supposed to enhance the colors of ground meats and can be added to all ground product. It's a way to keep the product looking fresh which means people will be using it to prolong the shelf life of their products. If this was really what the FDA wanted to do, we have the means and technology to safely separate the fat from the product, and instead of a harmful chemical bleaching process NUTRIENTS and VITAMINS necessary for human beings could be added to the meat. We have the means to do this to food and be able to get all of our daily needs and nutrients out of one meal, it would be extremely healthy and would make far more sense especially since many schools started using this pink slime in their foods. That would be the appropriate way of using this product. Instead it is manufactured cheaply using chemical alteration and claiming to be "healthy" because the fat is removed, and the benefit is the food looks better? hmmmmmm.......

Much of the health and obesity problems we experience in this country are directly related to the chemicals and substances that are allowed to go into your food. now more than ever foods are being packed with artificial sweeteners, preservatives, MSG, hormones and chemicals, these things can directly cause health problems and obesity as well as other problems such as ADD ADHD in children as well as cancers, hypertension, diabetes, and numerous other health problems. To sum it all up, Pharmaceutical companies provide major funding for the FDA which deems drugs and substances as "safe" for use in the public. The FDA and USDA allow the use of products in food which they deem "safe". Fact: the healthcare industry makes massive profits (enough to protect themselves from any lawsuits) and they get their business and money from people being sick and unhealthy. this all leads me to not trust what is put in our food and what they call "safe" This is why I enjoy making my own food and smoking preserving my own meat. If you want to improve your health this book says the best things you can do as far as eating goes is not to eat out at restaurants especially fast food, to cut out artificial sweeteners, foods with hormones, and if you can't pronounce an ingredient it probably isn't good for you.

I hope people don't think I'm nuts, but this is really going on. It's scary and sad, but you can protect yourself. Unfortunately it's difficult for people to eat healthy or go organic because it costs way more money.  And again in encourage everyone to read into this book, it will blow your mind what the government is allowing to happen.

What you can do:

- Cut out artificial sweeteners (they pass through your body unchanged, in fact: most of them survive sewage treatment processes unchanged gross!)

- make your own stocks, soups and sauces to use in your foods. this cuts out msg, preservatives, and other unwanted things. Freeze your stocks and use them whenever you need to make a soup or sauce

- Make your own spice blends and seasonings

- Make your own sausage, deli meat, jerky, and foods from scratch whenever possible ( you know what goes into what you make!)

- Cut out MSG (it's in almost all chain restaurant foods, stocks, box stuffing and rices. goes by many different names so it can be difficult to spot)

- cut out commercially processed foods with ingredients you can't pronounce

- try to eat USDA certified organic foods

- Know where your fruits vegetables come from, always wash them (if you use zest there are sometimes harmful additives sprayed on the peels. some oranges are "painted" on the side facing the tree because they don't color as brightly as the outside)

- Cut down or do not eat at restaurants especially chains and fast food (trust me i work in a chain restaurant it's terrible for you)

- Filter your own water ( flouride is toxic. it can kill you and many places put it in their water supplies. also tap water can contain other harmful things such as lead)

- proper diet. Take vitamins or multi-vitamins, get all your nutrients and eat lots of fiber. Just because you're skinny doesn't mean you're healthy

These are just some basics which will cut out tons of sodium, MSG, preservatives, and harmful chemicals. Not only that, you can take pride in knowing what is in the food you eat and serve people, and that it's made from scratch! Do some more research and know what's in the food you buy.

Natural cures "they" don't want you to know about- Kevin Trudaeu

12 Harmful things you should eliminate from your diet-

http://tpzoo.wordpress.com/2009/07/...ditives-you-need-to-eliminate-from-your-diet/

24 harmful food products -

http://www.wereyouwondering.com/possible-and-suspected-carcinogens-found-in-food/

pink slime -

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation...ime-maker-suspends-some-plant-operations.html

I hope this helps people and opens up your eyes to how you can change things! I'm planning on buying my own meat slicer (about 50-60$ used on amazon and ebay) and i'm going to start making my own sandwich meat. It's way tastier and SOOOOOO much better for you! And legally speaking. keep in mind. I am not a doctor, consult your doctor about diet changes and health issues, but this is just to give you an idea.

Tamma, i'm not sure where to start so i will preface with i'm sure your intentions are good and i can even agree with a couple of points but they are few and far between. since there are so many issues i have with what was posted i will only adress one item (MSG) and let anyone else chime in. i chose MSG since like pink slime, it created a histeria based on ignorance, falicies and media hype. glutamates are a natural occuring compound found in a lot of the food we eat. it was derived from seaweed by a guy in japan and later derived from wheat as it's source. there have been many studies and none have concluded that MSG is harmful much less did any of the subjects feel any "real" effects from it. one other thing, MSG has been part of a lot of people's diets who are on low sodium diets due to heart desease, high blood presure, and strokes. Tamma, i am not posting this to "challenge" you or to pick a fight (it's not me and i just don't have time for it) but to offer a point of view that just because it is the story of the day, doesn't mean that it is the menace to society that the hype wants you to believe it is.

Reactions: Ricky McLaughlin
EVERYONE..... Listen up here.....   I read somewhere today.... Nitrates, nitrites..... are NOT listed on the California list of suspected carcinogens......  That is the first sane thing that has come out of that state, in awhile......  I'm not listing the source for fear of retaliation from BACON haters.......    anonymous me....

Chefrob? 

I had promised myself not to get into this fray.

There seems to be no upside to dealing with this kind of hysteria?

Having said that, I am once again out of the fray.

The rest of you can knock yourselves out.

Good luck and good smoking.

MSG in small doses isn't bad, but in fast food and chain restaurants the levels that it is at is really not good for your body. The other problem like I said is that the FDA allows it to be called different things and sometimes it's hard to find out if it is an ingredient in your food, I have a friend with a serious MSG allergy and she has to be super careful with anything she buys to make sure it isn't hidden in the ingredients list. MSG is also used in large doses for lab rats and mice to fatten them up quickly for research. There are lots of things that are good or not harmful for you in moderation, but when you start putting extreme levels of them in all elements of food it's not good. It becomes bad when these substances make it into almost all prepared foods. Unfortunately in our society it comes down to several things. convenience/time, and money. You can eliminate a lot of food products with harmful preservatives and artificial ingredients but it costs way more, you can also make a lot of your own foods from scratch but it takes time... But the main point to me making such a large post is that you can't always believe that a product is safe because FDA says it is. A lot of harmful ingredients are allowed to be in our food because of convenience and cost. I've been getting into doing all this BBQ, smoking, making my own sauces and stocks so I can try to eliminate at least some of these products. Every once in  a while it wont hurt your body, but when you make it a constant thing it can be harmful. I've been working at a chain restaurant for almost 3 years now and i've gained probably 15-20lbs from changing nothing but the food I consume 4 or 5 days a week for one meal (and I don't eat the most unhealthy things there). It's my own fault but it comes down to time and convenience and cost, and that's fine but im paying the price with my health. My biggest goal right now is to invest in a decent meat slicer, I eat a lot of sandwiches for lunch during the week and deli meat is packed with unhealthy preservatives and loads of sodium. I'm not a "granola cruncher" as some people would say, but I'm trying to be more cautious about where my food comes from and what it's made of. In culinary school I had to take a course on health and spa cuisine and they said cutting out processed foods is one of the best things you can do. There has been a rise in a lot of health problems and disorders in this country and I've noticed even from when I was younger (and I'm only 24) the amount of children with hyperactivity and ADHD has been increasing, and a lot of people believe that's directly related to diet trends and what is being put in our food. And with pink slime,  if 7million lbs of meat is pink slime out of 11million lbs going to public schools for our kids, then why can't it be enhanced with nutrients and vitamins. Instead it's deemed "healthy" because of a lack of fat. Society is very quick to blame fat for being the problem, but the main cause of gaining fat is not JUST from fat but from a combination of things. People are eating out more and buying more processed foods than ever before, people are busy and have crazy lives and find less time to prepare their own meals all the time. And unfortunately I tend to fall into that trend as well. during the summer I work 2 cooking jobs 6 days a week doing days and nights and also practicing with a band, help babysit my girlfriends nieces so my schedule is tight. My gf works and goes to school as well, where as years ago it was far more common for the men to do a bulk of or all of the working and women could stay home and take care of the house, children, and having a nice home cooked meal prepared every night.

Sorry to go on so long again but this is a great topic because it goes so much deeper than just pink slime. Couldn't they have at least picked a more appetizing name? And chefrob I do appreciate your view and opinion and I'm not challenging you or anything. I'm not basing any of this off of hype... just from what I've been reading, my schooling, personal experience and trends I've been observing. A lot of people don't realize what they're consuming and up until last year I wasn't aware either, but I'm trying to improve that and help people become more aware to make changes as well.

MSG in small doses isn't bad, but in fast food and chain restaurants the levels that it is at is really not good for your body. The other problem like I said is that the FDA allows it to be called different things and sometimes it's hard to find out if it is an ingredient in your food, I have a friend with a serious MSG allergy and she has to be super careful with anything she buys to make sure it isn't hidden in the ingredients list. MSG is also used in large doses for lab rats and mice to fatten them up quickly for research. There are lots of things that are good or not harmful for you in moderation, but when you start putting extreme levels of them in all elements of food it's not good. It becomes bad when these substances make it into almost all prepared foods. Unfortunately in our society it comes down to several things. convenience/time, and money. You can eliminate a lot of food products with harmful preservatives and artificial ingredients but it costs way more, you can also make a lot of your own foods from scratch but it takes time... But the main point to me making such a large post is that you can't always believe that a product is safe because FDA says it is. A lot of harmful ingredients are allowed to be in our food because of convenience and cost. I've been getting into doing all this BBQ, smoking, making my own sauces and stocks so I can try to eliminate at least some of these products. Every once in a while it wont hurt your body, but when you make it a constant thing it can be harmful. I've been working at a chain restaurant for almost 3 years now and i've gained probably 15-20lbs from changing nothing but the food I consume 4 or 5 days a week for one meal (and I don't eat the most unhealthy things there). It's my own fault but it comes down to time and convenience and cost, and that's fine but im paying the price with my health. My biggest goal right now is to invest in a decent meat slicer, I eat a lot of sandwiches for lunch during the week and deli meat is packed with unhealthy preservatives and loads of sodium. I'm not a "granola cruncher" as some people would say, but I'm trying to be more cautious about where my food comes from and what it's made of. In culinary school I had to take a course on health and spa cuisine and they said cutting out processed foods is one of the best things you can do. There has been a rise in a lot of health problems and disorders in this country and I've noticed even from when I was younger (and I'm only 24) the amount of children with hyperactivity and ADHD has been increasing, and a lot of people believe that's directly related to diet trends and what is being put in our food. And with pink slime, if 7million lbs of meat is pink slime out of 11million lbs going to public schools for our kids, then why can't it be enhanced with nutrients and vitamins. Instead it's deemed "healthy" because of a lack of fat. Society is very quick to blame fat for being the problem, but the main cause of gaining fat is not JUST from fat but from a combination of things. People are eating out more and buying more processed foods than ever before, people are busy and have crazy lives and find less time to prepare their own meals all the time. And unfortunately I tend to fall into that trend as well. during the summer I work 2 cooking jobs 6 days a week doing days and nights and also practicing with a band, help babysit my girlfriends nieces so my schedule is tight. My gf works and goes to school as well, where as years ago it was far more common for the men to do a bulk of or all of the working and women could stay home and take care of the house, children, and having a nice home cooked meal prepared every night.

Sorry to go on so long again but this is a great topic because it goes so much deeper than just pink slime. Couldn't they have at least picked a more appetizing name? And chefrob I do appreciate your view and opinion and I'm not challenging you or anything. I'm not basing any of this off of hype... just from what I've been reading, my schooling, personal experience and trends I've been observing. A lot of people don't realize what they're consuming and up until last year I wasn't aware either, but I'm trying to improve that and help people become more aware to make changes as well.
To each his own

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky