Pink Pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Can Safely Cooked Pork Be Pink?
Cooked muscle meats can be pink even when the meat has reached a safe internal temperature. If fresh pork has reached 145 °F throughout, even though it may still be pink in the center, it should be safe. The pink color can be due to the cooking method or added ingredients. 

From USDA/FSIS

They have lowered the temp requirement from 160° to 145° - 'bout time!

You're right on that, lowering the temp was long overdue.  Much better than freezing for 30 days as the work around to kill off any trichosis that I was aware of.

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

Uh-huh!  I love me a medium rare tenderloin - never been sick.

I think the change has to do with the way pork is processed today versus 20 years ago....

can anyone confirm?

It's because they are not fed scraps of garbage anymore. Their diet is so to say "pasturized" and mostly grain where as in the old days it was slop ,say from the floor of a slaughter house or other food leftover products and by products.

Plus, trich is in the fat, not the lean, like a tenderloin.

Not exactly true on the scraps they are fed. The waste from brewing (hopps, barley etc) are still fed to the hog farmers and I won't go into detail on what is fed to the hogs on a very large operation that our relatives own, as you would never eat pork again. Of course they eat a lot of pork and they told me long ago I was over cooking it and it only needed that 145 to be done.

I like my pork a little pink - stays nice and moist.....

My wife won't touch any pork that is pink. She still remembers her mother telling her that she would get sick and she has never forgotten that.

Does that mean I eat 30 minutes before her? No, I give her the ends and I take the middle (ha, ha)......

Unlike beef - pork really does better at low and slow..................

Reactions: tythur111386
I've been cooking my tenderloins to 145 for a few years now with no issues.  The middle tends to be a little more pink with the ends being less pink, everyone wins.

I'm reviving an old thread about pink smoked pork. This is good for a laugh. The BBQ restaurant, Clyde Cooper's, has been a landmark in downtown Raleigh since 1938.
She got her 5 minutes of fame.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky