Pin wheel dampers on my Lang

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Well after a bunch of great suggestions, and I might add a bit of a session of being sent to the corner for being a bad boy for posting this on the carousel, which I promptly removed. I found a very easy fix, if only Lang had got back with me I’M SURE THEY WOULD HAVE TOLD ME THE SAME THING. I don’t have a torch, but I do have a small bottle of MAPP gas. All I did was heat the bolts up red hot & hit them with a hammer. It mushroomed them perfectly, now my dampers work like new. Wait till you see the log lighter I installed. That will be in a different thread. Once again thank you all for your suggestions, but I’m sure you know you wake up in the middle of the night with the answer to your problem & since I’m old I have to write it down so I remember it in the morning. Anyhow July 4th BBQ will be just great without the screwdriver hack. Happy 4th to all of you & I know I haven’t been on here much, but I do check in a couple of times a day, and I hope to be on here more from now on.
Al

It's nice you got it taken care of Al. I've never much cared for that style of damper just for the problem you encountered, if they get loose the slightest movement can change everything. I like the dampers that slide back and forth more. RAY

Glad you got the problem solved! And out of the corner :emoji_laughing: . Enjoy your screw driverless smoke and a happy 4th to you and Judy

Ryan

Anyhow July 4th BBQ will be just great without the screwdriver hack. Happy 4th to all of you

Thank you Al!! Same to you and yours. Glad you got the Lang taken care of. That's just too nice of a smoker for it not to be working perfectly.

Robert

Hey glad it’s fixed and don’t waste the screwdriver. Drink a few on the 4th!!

Glad you got it squared away Al. I still hate to hear you never heard back from the Lang crew. That’s disappointing. Happy 4th and enjoy your cook!

Appreciate the update. My Lang is only 2 years old so I haven't had any issues yet. I will know what to do if It happens to mine. Just curious, who told you how to fix the problem ?

Glad to see you got it fixed up and will be around more! What's going on the Lang for the 4th?

I’m going to smoke a ham & a pan of beans. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to get the log starter installed by tomorrow.
Al
Appreciate the update. My Lang is only 2 years old so I haven't had any issues yet. I will know what to do if It happens to mine. Just curious, who told you how to fix the problem ?

I know this sounds crazy, but I woke up in the middle of the night with this idea & it worked perfectly.
Al

I’m going to smoke a ham & a pan of beans. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to get the log starter installed by tomorrow.
Al

I know this sounds crazy, but I woke up in the middle of the night with this idea & it worked perfectly.
Al
Wow! Super crazy but it worked. You got guts!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky