Pig pudding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Butchering this weekend & want to try making pig pudding ( puddin) or pan pudding whichever you go by. I understand it’s a PA dutch thing but can’t find anything on making it. I’m not talking about black sausage or blood sausage. When I was a kid we made it but can’t recall want went into it. It was the leftover meat from cooking off the bones. Then ground & put back in kettle for awhile. When done it was put in scrapple pan. To eat It was heated on stove to a consistency of a meat puddin Then served over pancakes with chopped onions or horseradish on top. All help or guidance thankful for.

Search Ponhaas or Pennsylvania Dutch pork or pan pudding, Lancaster county pork or pan pudding.

I got lots of results.

Main difference between Scrapple and Pudding is Scrapple is thickened with either corn meal, oat meal or flour.
Pudding is Scrapple before thickening agents are added and it simply has fresh lard added to it.
Often preserved as a confit.

Last edited:
Search Panhaas or Pennsylvania Dutch pork or pan pudding, Lancaster county pork or pan pudding.

I got lots of results.
Only finding ponhaus & scrapple recipes. The pudding has no buckwheat or cornmeal in it. Just meat, seasoning & lard. Talked to a amish guy today but couldn’t tell me or didn’t want to about puddin. He did say what they call ponhaus has no meat in it but scrapple does. Everybody thinks they are the same thing.

Guess just wing it with S&P to the meat. Then in a scrapple pan. Need to take notes though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky