PID Controller for MES 35

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigpapifunk

Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
Could someone suggest a good PID Controller for my MES35? This is my first electric smoker as all I have used for 16 years is Weber Bullet and my UDS. I am looking for something that is basically plug and play. I see a lot about building your own and a lot of technical talk, but being I know nothing about the internal components, I was looking for ease of use to get a consistent temp. Thanks.

There are a few good products out there that would get the job done. BBQ Guru, Auber, Fireboard. They are good products but I find the price tag a bit high for controlling an entry level smoker. That said, I am very close to marketing a low cost PID controller for MES or other smokers. It is a simple unit that only controls temperature. No bells and whistles. I will be looking for a few forum members to test and evaluate my prototype units. I will be setting up a dedicated thread once I get prototypes ready to deliver.

JC :emoji_cat:

There are a few good products out there that would get the job done. BBQ Guru, Auber, Fireboard. They are good products but I find the price tag a bit high for controlling an entry level smoker. That said, I am very close to marketing a low cost PID controller for MES or other smokers. It is a simple unit that only controls temperature. No bells and whistles. I will be looking for a few forum members to test and evaluate my prototype units. I will be setting up a dedicated thread once I get prototypes ready to deliver.

JC :emoji_cat:
Thanks for the reply. I am not looking for bells and whistles, just something that I can control the temp with that is easy to use. I would be willing to try one out and give you some feedback.

I got this Used MES on CL for $20 and sure enough the controller is not working properly. I read on a few forums that this is a common problem and that even with a replacement controller it is bound to happen. I have made a fermentation controller for homebrewing before and though about making a PID controller for it and just wiring the element to the PID. Has anyone done this before? Anything i should consider before doing this?
Kodi nox

Last edited:
I got this Used MES on CL for $20 and sure enough the controller is not working properly. I read on a few forums that this is a common problem and that even with a replacement controller it is bound to happen. I have made a fermentation controller for homebrewing before and though about making a PID controller for it and just wiring the element to the PID. Has anyone done this before? Anything i should consider before doing this?

Reactions: tallbm
I think the MES 35 is analog . If it is the re wire is not needed .
If it's a digital model then the re wire needs to be done .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky