Pickling the Dragon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Nor Cal
Wipped up another batch of picked thai peppers. Salt, a few cloves of garlic, a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of a prior batch's liquid.
20191008_172823.jpg

I have some Hab sauce fermenting now,it is a month and a half old now.Going to wait another month
Richie

Reactions: S-met
Bet that’s going to be nice, be sure to show the finished project when done.

How are those lids? I haven’t ordered lids yet but I was looking at the plastic screw on ones with the included weights. Those you have pictured are less expensive. They work good too?

I have some Hab sauce fermenting now,it is a month and a half old now.Going to wait another month
Richie
At least another month. It seems that hot peppers are a natural preservative. I'm thinking a minimum of 4 months. I think Tabasco sits for 3 years.

Bet that’s going to be nice, be sure to show the finished project when done.

How are those lids? I haven’t ordered lids yet but I was looking at the plastic screw on ones with the included weights. Those you have pictured are less expensive. They work good too?
I like the lids. Its obvious that I just reuse a set of wide mouth rings to hold the silicone Air-lock on. When its done, I just put a canning lid on it and call it good.

No so obvious is the glass weight inside of the jar holding the peppers down.

Thanks, I’ll probably order them and save a few bucks.

Here’s a stupid question. Can you use store bought peppers when fermenting? If so, any extra steps or precautions?

Can you use store bought peppers when fermenting? If so, any extra steps or precautions?
Yes. Risks are low. I treat it the same as homegrown. I was with water and a vegetable brush if they look soiled. But otherwise safe. Salt brine is the key, but MUST use non-iodized salt without any anti-caking agents as they inhibit fermentation.

Regarding lacto fermentation, the general environment is inhospitable to most bad bugs making it relatively safe. Lactobacillus lives on the surface of most everything and it naturally sours and preserves the food.

I add a little sugar as it ferments into alcohol, which is later converted by acetobacteria (naturally present) into vinegar. Some people add a splash of vinegar to help encourage, but I've been lucky enough to not need any. I do add a splash of my prior batchs to help encourage the same flavors.

It seems complicated, but it really isn't. You don't really need to know the sciencey stuff. Just need to know to avoid iodized salt and be wary of preservatives in anything you add. Sodium or potassium benzoate are yeast reproduction inhibitors that can be added afterwards for stabilizers but will inhibit your fermentation if added early.

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!
twice burning peppers. Once on the way in and again on theway out. But balance with a fatty meat and they are phenomenal.

Yes. Risks are low. I treat it the same as homegrown. I was with water and a vegetable brush if they look soiled. But otherwise safe. Salt brine is the key, but MUST use non-iodized salt without any anti-caking agents as they inhibit fermentation.

Regarding lacto fermentation, the general environment is inhospitable to most bad bugs making it relatively safe. Lactobacillus lives on the surface of most everything and it naturally sours and preserves the food.

I add a little sugar as it ferments into alcohol, which is later converted by acetobacteria (naturally present) into vinegar. Some people add a splash of vinegar to help encourage, but I've been lucky enough to not need any. I do add a splash of my prior batchs to help encourage the same flavors.

It seems complicated, but it really isn't. You don't really need to know the sciencey stuff. Just need to know to avoid iodized salt and be wary of preservatives in anything you add. Sodium or potassium benzoate are yeast reproduction inhibitors that can be added afterwards for stabilizers but will inhibit your fermentation if added early.

twice burning peppers. Once on the way in and again on theway out. But balance with a fatty meat and they are phenomenal.

That is some good info,I use Distilled Water or Bottled Spring Water to avoid any chlorine or any other thing the city puts in.
Richie

Reactions: S-met
Thanks for the great info. I was curious as to how grocery store peppers were fermented, especially if they spray them plus all the other people handling them.

That is some good info,I use Distilled Water or Bottled Spring Water to avoid any chlorine or any other thing the city puts in.
Richie
Good point on chlorinated water andother potential additives from municipal water. I usually use bottled spring water for the pickling, but use tapwater for cleaning.

Some of my brewer-friends use Sodium or Potassium Metabisulfite (Camden tablets) to neutralize chlorine, but I've been satisfied to use a bottle of water. It is a small enough volume.

24hr update: seeing bubbles and signs of fermentation. Temp control stability at 68°f
20191009_192304.jpg

About 10 day update:
Still slow signs of fermentation. Second pic attempting to show the yeasty sediment on the bottom. Probably check again in a week or two. Doubt I'll even be touching these before new year. Maybe a sample pepper around Thanksgiving just to "test."
20191017_182932.jpg
20191017_183036.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky