Pickled sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
This is another one of my guilty pleasures. I love pickled sausages. And make them often. I don't have to make large batches because nobody else eats them here. They think they're gross.
But the wife eats liverwurst and limburger cheese sandwiches......geesh.
I've found that the best sausages or hot dogs to use are the ones with red casings. And preferably natural casings. Ironically, the ones I like the most are made in NY. And are hard to find.

Glaizer-hot-dog.jpg

And are not cheap either. 6.50 for a pack. But they are very good, either on a bun. Or pickled.

For the brine I used cayenne vinegar. Which is nothing more then hot cider vinegar poured into a jar containing a few dozen cayenne peppers.
And let it sit in the fridge a couple weeks.
The brine is a 50/50 blend of the vinegar and water. And 2 Tbs of kosher salt. Brought to a boil and poured into quart mason jars with the dogs.

PC030083.jpg

Then vacuum sealed. I'll be smelling good in about a week!!

YIKES!!!
Those dogs look good Steve.:emoji_thumbsup:

I love'um, but they do horrible things to me.
My wife doesn't tell me what to do very often but in this case she tells me not to eat them unless I'm gonna be on the ocean fishing, crabbing or sitting in my goose blind or going up to stay at the duck club with the boys.:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::emoji_joy:

Will try your recipe.
Looks great.

Those glazier's are good!

Im north of you and most stores have them.

YIKES!!!
Those dogs look good Steve.:emoji_thumbsup:

I love'um, but they do horrible things to me.
My wife doesn't tell me what to do very often but in this case she tells me not to eat them unless I'm gonna be on the ocean fishing, crabbing or sitting in my goose blind or going up to stay at the duck club with the boys.:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::emoji_joy:
Thanks! Yup I have the same problem.

Home run Steve!! I used to live off those things but have not had one for years. You got the cogs turning now...

Robert

Pickled sausage is a weakness for me and yours look excellent, Steve!! I eat these way more than I should lol.

I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen the Glazier brand around here but I’ll have to keep an eye out for them.

I used to buy Pickled Hot Bologna in a Gallon Jar, but it was pieces of Ring Bologna cut in half lengthwise & in about 4" or 5" lengths.
When using Hot Dogs, do you cook them first?

Bear

You mentioned these the other day and I’ve had the munchies for them since!! Look great. Like your wife I LOVE liverwurst. When I was a kid I would devour limburger and as she called it “gooseliver”. I still love the liverwurst and braunschweiger but can’t get the Limburger past my nose.

I Love Liverwurst or Braunschweiger and Raw Onion Sandwiches! I've not had them with Limberger but I'm a huge fan of Stinky Cheese too.
I know, here, there ain't much Smoochin' happening nights I eat Liverwurst and Onion Sandwiches, so I'm thinking same goes for your house!😂 ...JJ

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
That looks great Steve, might be a great way to preserve some homemade sausage rather that freezing. RAY

Pickled sausage is a weakness for me and yours look excellent, Steve!! I eat these way more than I should lol.

I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen the Glazier brand around here but I’ll have to keep an eye out for them.
Thanks Joe! If you can't find them. You can order them from their web site

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky