Pickled peppers.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
So, I went to our local store and asked if they had any banana peppers in the back because there were none in the veggie aisle. She said they had some. She came back with Hungarian peppers, aka hot banana peppers. Not what I wanted. But I'll take them.

Cored and rinsed.
P7301117.JPG

For the brine:
1.5 quarts water
.5 quart distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup pickling salt.
Put this in a non-reactive pot. And bring to a boil.
In each quart mason jar add:
1 tsp dill seed
1 tsp dried dill. Or fresh. I couldn't find any today.
1 tsp dried minced onion.
1/4 tsp pickle crisp.
Pour hot solution to 1/2" of top of each jar.
I vacuum seal mine. Though you don't need to. Vacuum sealing quickens the time for them to be ready.
P7301118.jpg

Let them sit on the counter until they are cooled to room temp. Then put in fridge. These are not shelf stable. When ready. These are great in salads, on pizzas, are just munching on.

And I just realized I put this in the wrong section! Sorry, please move mods.

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Looks good Steve! You might need to make more. Those won’t last long.
Thank you. These will last. I hope. Until mine come in. I'm the only one that eats them like this. Which is fine!

Bet the good. Love any kind of peppers! I just picked up some hot hatch peppers. I see some green chili stew this weekend.
Thanks. I like hatch peppers. But they are another type of peppers that are hard to get here unless you buy them already roasted and canned.

Looks tasty Steve. I did some bread and butter Hungarian peppers last weekend. Love the sweet spicy combo

Mmmm mmmm good!! I'm about at the end of the stuff I put together not long ago and this is a great reminder that I need to get back in the kitchen and get some stuff going. Great looking stuff Steve!!

Robert

Looks good Steve! Might be a bit spicy for me but I do like regular banana peppers

Ryan

Looks good Steve. How do you vac seal a jar?
Thanks! You use a Mason jar attachment that gets hooked up to the assy port of your vacuum sealer.

Check out the video included. This is a pretty handle gizmo. I've also used this to speed marinate meats and veggies.

Mmmm mmmm good!! I'm about at the end of the stuff I put together not long ago and this is a great reminder that I need to get back in the kitchen and get some stuff going. Great looking stuff Steve!!

Robert
Thanks Bud!

Looks good. It will be interesting to hear if canning them intensify’s Or decreases the “heat” level of the peppers. Also has me wondering how they would be if you cold smoked them before canning.

I love banana pepper pickles. Those look real fine.
It's pretty obvious what it does, but what exactly is "pickle crisp"??
Gary
It is Calcium Chloride. A firming agent. I was using Alum. but this is supposedly safer. You add 1/4 tsp per quart mason jar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky