Pickle time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use 2.5 TBS kosher. Or pickling salt.
Thanks for the thread and info Steve . I'm well stocked on salts , with all the brining and curing I do , but when my Sister called and said she found " pickle salt " on sale for $.50 a bag I couldn't pass it up . Had no idea it was 2 pound bags .
A buck for 4 pounds .
1690647479124.png

Here is a nice chart for brine
Nice . Doesn't need to be any harder than that . Saved to my desk top .
Thanks bud .

Thanks for the thread and info Steve . I'm well stocked on salts , with all the brining and curing I do , but when my Sister called and said she found " pickle salt " on sale for $.50 a bag I couldn't pass it up . Had no idea it was 2 pound bags .
A buck for 4 pounds .
View attachment 671958

Nice . Doesn't need to be any harder than that . Saved to my desk top .
Thanks bud .
I use 2.5 tbs salt because it is course ground. Fine salt. I'd use 2 tbs. Which is still a touch over 33 grams. I prefer to err towards safety. That is the salt I use most of the time.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
Looks good! Looking forward to seeing how they turn out. Time for me to pay a visit to the local farm stand and look for some good pickling cukes. I got one of the larger kimchi containers and I'm looking forward to trying it out for pickles.

I've noticed the experts here don't use any starter. I've always used lactobaccillus (probiotic) tablets for that. Have you managed to get a reasonably quick start on fermentation without a starter?

Well alrighty, Steve. Looks like you're ready and those do look like pickling cukes to me. I'm in for the finish...

Looks good! Looking forward to seeing how they turn out. Time for me to pay a visit to the local farm stand and look for some good pickling cukes. I got one of the larger kimchi containers and I'm looking forward to trying it out for pickles.

I've noticed the experts here don't use any starter. I've always used lactobaccillus (probiotic) tablets for that. Have you managed to get a reasonably quick start on fermentation without a starter?
Thank you! No expert here! I haven't had any issues yet. They usually start bubbling after 12 or so hours.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
Man Steve, you've got it going on buddy!! I am now convinced that I need to try fermented pickles. Been making Al's for a long time but it'd be great to try something different. Now I have to go to amazon and find one of those fermenting bowls. I don't suppose you have any info you could share on that and / or possibly the actual amounts of stuff you put in to start the ferment do you?
Did I start something.....again?!
Apparently you did!! You're evil!! Evil I say :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Man Steve, you've got it going on buddy!! I am now convinced that I need to try fermented pickles. Been making Al's for a long time but it'd be great to try something different. Now I have to go to amazon and find one of those fermenting bowls. I don't suppose you have any info you could share on that and / or possibly the actual amounts of stuff you put in to start the ferment do you?

Apparently you did!! You're evil!! Evil I say :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Quick way to get started is this.

Real easy to use. Or you could just use mason jars with air locks. But this simple gadget does the job of the mason jars with less things to use. No weights or airlock.
Other than that. The brine is simple. 2 tbs pickling salt per quart of water. Add the cukes and spices of your choice with fresh dill and garlic. Put all of that in the cvontainer. Take the plug out of the inner lid. Push it down into the container until the air is removed. Put plug in. The put top on and check daily. If there is carbon dioxide bubble at the top. Open plug. And push down on inner lid to force it out. Put plug back on.

Lol! That'll work too!
Thanks amigo!! Now for the last questions...at least for now. Did you get the 1.3 gallon one or should I get a larger one? I'm thinking the 1.3 gallon would be more than enough for 4 quarts of pickles. Also, after the ferment is finished, what do you do with the pickles? Put them in Mason jars and store in the fridge?

Robert

Thanks amigo!! Now for the last questions...at least for now. Did you get the 1.3 gallon one or should I get a larger one? I'm thinking the 1.3 gallon would be more than enough for 4 quarts of pickles. Also, after the ferment is finished, what do you do with the pickles? Put them in Mason jars and store in the fridge?

Robert
I have the 1.3 gallon one. But you can get the bigger one because of how the inner lid works.
When done. I put them in mason jars. If there isn't enough liquid. You can top off with filtered water. Or a 3:1 mix of water and vinegar. In the fridge. They will still be fermenting. But at a slower rate.

I have the 1.3 gallon one. But you can get the bigger one because of how the inner lid works.
Hey buddy, I really, REALLY appreciate all the info. I kinda shied away from the fermenting because I was concerned about the cost involved to get started. I just remember how much $$ I spent when beer making was a huge hobby of mine and didn't want to go through that again. turns out it's pretty cheap and I'm off to Amazon to order a new toy.

Thank you again my friend.
Robert

Hey buddy, I really, REALLY appreciate all the info. I kinda shied away from the fermenting because I was concerned about the cost involved to get started. I just remember how much $$ I spent when beer making was a huge hobby of mine and didn't want to go through that again. turns out it's pretty cheap and I'm off to Amazon to order a new toy.

Thank you again my friend.
Robert
No problem my friend!

Those look great, we have been fermenting pickles but we have so many we've been doing lots of other things. We are actually canning cucumbers today. Despite best efforts those little cucumbers can hide until they are huge and yellow. We kept some of those and canned relish this morning. Working on baby pickles now.

We use silicone airlocks for mason jars to ferment. What are the details of your crock?

20230730_153244.jpg

20230730_153250.jpg

Those look great, we have been fermenting pickles but we have so many we've been doing lots of other things. We are actually canning cucumbers today. Despite best efforts those little cucumbers can hide until they are huge and yellow. We kept some of those and canned relish this morning. Working on baby pickles now.

We use silicone airlocks for mason jars to ferment. What are the details of your crock?

View attachment 672165

View attachment 672166
Thanks! Yours are looking great as well. These work well. And you can do small. Or full batches since the inner airlock is adjustable.
Post #30 has the link for it.

Reactions: philpom
I better follow along... I'm pretty sure I NEED to try this as well! You all just make sure Steve doesn't enable you into a new camper! Oh wait... :emoji_blush:

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky