Pickle Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Been marinating chicken in pickle juice when I’ve finished off a jar of pickles. You can use the brine from olives, peperoncino or pickled jalapeños (works great for hot wings) too.

I like drumsticks. I make several batches a month (various flavors) for easy lunch food. For this weeks batch I was lucky enough to have some pickle juice. You really don’t need much. For 14 drummers I used 1 1/2 cups. normally I’d use the trusty old Tupperware marinater but it was storing scones my wife made. So I put them in a 2 gallon Vac pac bag, sucked some of the air out and sealed for a 24 hour soak. Air dried for 8 hours in fridge.

I didn’t season with anything else. Wanted to try them naked. In the past I’ve added garlic, onion, pepper, white pepper, etc. No salt or any seasoning blend with salt there’s enough in the brine.

I smoked these in the 14.5” WSM using KBB and Apple. High temp pit 350. Approx 1 hour.

OMG are these fantastic! I made these Friday night planning on having them for lunches this week. I usually have two at lunch. Well I have four left. Hmmm!

Guess I’ll have to make more!

AC69D97E-A421-4EB1-BF2A-944BB3209685.jpeg

Last edited:
I do the same with chicken breast to make sandwiches . Never tried legs or thighs .
Those look tasty , nice color .

I always mean to marinate some chicken in pickle juice to try. I think it's Chic-Fil-A that does this with their product.

I always mean to marinate some chicken in pickle juice to try. I think it's Chic-Fil-A that does this with their product.

Yep Chick Fil A does use pickle juice on their chicken. There are several smaller chicken joints in the south that do too.

We just got a Chick Fil A in town here and a Cracker Barrel. Haven't been to either of them and probably wont. Tend to support our locally owned non-chain restaurants. We really don't eat fast food ever either. I can't remember the last time I went to McDonalds, Subway, Carls Jr, etc.

Great Idea, Case!!
I never tried that, but I will !!
Like.

You know I never mentioned this, because I figured you guys would think I was Weird, but I used to save the Pickle Juice from our "Bread & Butter Chips". Then I would Drizzle about 3 or 4 TBS of it over My Cheesesteak. It adds a real tasty Addition!

Bear

Yep Chick Fil A does use pickle juice on their chicken. There are several smaller chicken joints in the south that do too.

We just got a Chick Fil A in town here and a Cracker Barrel. Haven't been to either of them and probably wont. Tend to support our locally owned non-chain restaurants. We really don't eat fast food ever either. I can't remember the last time I went to McDonalds, Subway, Carls Jr, etc.

Well now I have to say that Chick Fil A doesn't brine their chicken in pickle juice!

This and several other sources have debunked the rumor:

never thought of this great idea must try it . thats what i love about smoking meat forums soooo many gereat ideas and advice always directing people to look here for ideas and recipies

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky