Picanha???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CoolbreezeBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Wanted to try another Tri Tip while still on holiday vacation. My normal butcher is closed this week for renovations, so tried another shop. Was told over phone he’d cut it for me when I got there. I showed up he cut it, 2.25 lbs at $10.99 a lb. I asked why so expensive, and was told out west they cut tri tip off bottom round, and it’s more like a roast. Here they cut it off top sirloin, and it’s more like a steak. It doesn’t look like last tri tip I cooked. After returning home and researching I think I got a cut of Picanha. Gonna try to smoke it’s same as tri tip. Anyone have any experience with this cut of meat?

Reactions: whistlepig
Meant to say out west it’s cut off bottom sirloin. I’m pretty sure this is the Picanha cut. Post a pic when I open it back up.

Picanha is good stuff. Rotisserie is the traditional way to do it, but of course you can grill it too. Leave the fat cap on and try to get it charred up without overcooking it.

Tri-Tip is Shoe Leather compared to the Picanha, aka Top Sirloin Cap. Have to agree, the Rotisserie is the tool of choice. Cook to an IT of no more than 130, with a 15 minute rest and slice hand cut thin. Jealous! The local Butchers have no idea what a Picanha is...JJ

Meant to say out west it’s cut off bottom sirloin. I’m pretty sure this is the Picanha cut. Post a pic when I open it back up.
74E8287A-B414-4703-A8F2-1D56D2810A25.png
82E0B227-919A-419B-9C53-F66ED9A8FA86.jpeg
55FC7092-C23D-4AAB-BE0A-E35EDBB78C57.jpeg

This is the piece of meat I got. Gonna slow smoke it to 110 then sear both sides and take off at 130

I am lucky to get trimmed tri-tip at a restaurant supply house @$5.99/lb and picanha with the fat cap for $4.99/lb.....I will take the tri-tip any day/time over the picanha...at least when I prepare them the same way. Smoke to 110 degrees, later sou vide to 132 and quick reverse sear, the tri-tip blow it away.

You sure know how to cook beef properly! That is the PERFECT DONENESS!!! For this guy and family...JJ

That looks great and perfectly cooked! My mouth is watering.

Mike

WOW MAN that is perfection! Nice work! I need to get my hands on one of those!!!

Thank you everyone. Technique was a small charcoal snake with some pecan chunks in vortex off to one side of Weber Kettle with large hole up. Slowly cooked meat indirect up to 110 IT took about a hour and 40 minutes. By that time most of coals in snake were lit to be able to sear both sides directly over vortex until it hit 130 IT. Pulled at that time loosely foiled for 15-20 minutes then sliced. Man did that come out good. Thanks again for looking.

Awesome looking Picanha! Down in SA they call it the queen of steaks. I didn't know it but Argentina eats more beef than any country in the world! We watched a really entertaining movie about grilling down there . Check it out on Netflix Todo sobre el asado (translation, roughly. "Everything about the Grilled")

I did some research and saw how they traditionally fix these, kind of folded then skewered. I did mine a little different. I got one of these and seasoned it up prepared it as follows:
Place the steak on a cooling rack in a quarter sheet pan, open in the refrigerator overnight. This allows for the rub to soak into the meat and for some drying of the exterior surfaces.

We used the smokehouse to add a subtle, deeper cold smoke flavor and were able to keep the temperature below 85 deg F. Two hours was plenty. If you cant go that low just skip this part as you do not want to overcook this cut. The internal temperature on the meat was 74 deg f when it came off the smoker.

On my green egg, I use big block, lump hardwood, topped with several large chunks of split red oak. This makes a really hot smokey fire.

Fire the green egg up and get a good fire going then dial it back a little. When you're ready open up the vents and let it breath. Do not leave it unattended as it can reach 650-750 or higher in less than 5 minutes. The high temps are necessary to get a good char on the outside, lower temps will not give you a char and will often result in over cooking.

Burp the green egg, then place the beef fat side down for about 2-3 minutes, flip it and give it another 2-3 minutes. You should have some good grill marks and some charring. If not go another 1-2 on each side.

Remove the steak, dial the grill back just a little.

pic 1.jpg

Slice the steak in about 2in thick cuts with the grain. It should be almost raw inside.
Re-season the cut sides of the steaks.

pic 2.jpg

Let the grill get hot again, add the steaks and go about 2-3-minutes each side. Using the meat thermometer go no higher than IT 125 deg f.

Let them rest for at least 10 minutes.
pic 3.jpg

Slice across grain for plating. Enjoy

A great steak, If looking at your local store its also known as top sirloin cap or a coulotte steak.

-Urban

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky