Picanha on Argentine Grill - cook low, rest, slice into steaks, cook high

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Picanha roast from Dexter heifer.
First score fat cap, rub with salt, let rest.
Cook on Santa Maria grill at low heat, let rest 15 min, slice into 1" thick steaks, sprinkle with salt, grill at high heat.
Finally, cut steaks into slices.
Appetizers: beef sausage patties on Hawaiian rolls.
Sides: grilled sweet peppers, onions, carrots.
And of course, fresh tomatoes with balsamic vinegar/EVO, basil, parmesan cheese.
Everything home grown, including beef.
(4 minutes)

Nice! I'm doing picanha tonight! Found it at a little hispanic grocery - they never have these in the normal grocery stores. Haven't decided yet whether to do it on the grate or on a long skewer. But it's already been dry brined. And yes, you gotta leave the fat cap on there right? Nothing like a little fatty crunch in every bite. And we even have our first tomato ready to pick from the garden. My wife is picking it right now...

Thats a beautiful setup you have there. I might be a tad jealous but great job and thanks for sharing.

Nice! I'm doing picanha tonight! Found it at a little hispanic grocery - they never have these in the normal grocery stores. Haven't decided yet whether to do it on the grate or on a long skewer. But it's already been dry brined. And yes, you gotta leave the fat cap on there right? Nothing like a little fatty crunch in every bite. And we even have our first tomato ready to pick from the garden. My wife is picking it right now...

So did you stick it or what? I'm sure it turned out good. And nothing beats homegrown tomatoes.

Reactions: Marknmd
Like Bmudd said I might be just a tad jealous on the grill. I have a garage and drive full of cookers but want to add a Santa Maria at some point.

So did you stick it or what? I'm sure it turned out good. And nothing beats homegrown tomatoes.
Yes sir. Trimmed the fat to about a half inch thick. Dry brined it for about four hours. Then sliced it like steaks against the grain about an inch and a half thick. Then stuck them on a long 32" skewer sort of curled like a "C". Laid the skewer across the weber over hot coals. Turned it every two mins or so until the outside was charred just right, allowing the fat to sizzle and drizzle itself over the meat. Then took it off and held the skewer vertical and then sliced slivers of the charred meat with a sharp knife, allowing the charred meat to fall onto the cutting board at the kitchen table. Ate the pieces. Back on the weber. Char. Off. Slice. Eat. On. Char. Off. Slice. Eat. Etc. Came out outstanding. Meat was charred but the inside was pink. It was perfect. Wife loved it and she is a harsh critic. Next time I think I'll make them two inch thick steaks. No photos darn it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky