PIA Cajun Chicken Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I have made PIA (pain in the pants) chicken before. It is a lot of work. However, I have this defective gene that wants to make food as tasty as I can. I just can’t help making food the best I can regardless of the work.

So, when I made up my Cajun Seasoning recipe and wanted to make chicken thighs using it, I had to go to the PIA method.

By the way, the Cajun Seasoning ingredients are:

• 12 ml (2 ½ teaspoon) paprika
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoons) garlic powder
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoons) Kosher salt
  • 8 ml (1 ½ teaspoon) coarse pepper
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) oregano
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) onion powder
  • 4 ml (¾ teaspoon) dried thyme
  • 3 ml (½ teaspoon) dried parsley
  • 3 ml (½ teaspoon) cayenne
Cajun Seasoning 2.jpg

Note the hand calligraphy on the label.

I started by taking the skin off four chicken thighs. Using a very sharp knife, I scraped the fat off the skin by holding the knife at a sharp angle and carefully removing the fat. You will have to clean the blade often as fat will coat it and make it difficult to remove the fat.

PIA Cajun Chicken Thighs 01.jpg

I generously sprinkled my Cajun Seasoning over the chicken thigh, wrapped the skin around it and then applied another layer of Cajun Seasoning over the skin. You can use a commercial Cajun seasoning mix if you’d like.

PIA Cajun Chicken Thighs 02.jpg

I put ¼ inch of vegetable oil and ¼ inch of melted butter in a roasting pan. I added a teaspoon of Tabasco sauce and mixed.

Put the chicken skin side down in the mixture and cover the roasting pan with foil. I put the pan in my Traeger Timberline at 250 F (120 C) for 45 minutes.

PIA Cajun Chicken Thighs 03.jpg

While the chicken is cooking, I mixed 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) of Cajun seasoning into 150 ml (2/3 cup) barbecue sauce.

I turned the chicken in the pan to coat with the butter mixture and put it skin side up on the rack of the smoker. I smoked for about 45 minutes more to an internal temperature of 175 F (80 C).

PIA Cajun Chicken Thighs 04.jpg

I put each thigh in the sauce and turned it to coat. I put the thighs back in the smoker for 10 to 15 minutes to set the sauce.

PIA Cajun Chicken Thighs 05.jpg

Let the chicken set for 5 minutes and serve.

PIA Cajun Chicken Thighs 06.jpg

PIA Cajun Chicken Thighs 07.jpg

The Verdict

This is a great chicken thigh. The Cajun spices give it a touch of heat and a great complexity. You know the work of scraping the skin is worth it when you take that first bite and the skin remains attached to the thigh and it just adds to the great flavour and texture of the chicken.

PIA Cajun Chicken Thighs 08.jpg

Disco

That looks amazing! So I guess that means PIA = FLG (finger lickin good)

Ryan

Competition level cook Disco!! Big like! I love thighs and I would tear some of those up!!

Yummmm! Nice cook Disco! I know exactly what you mean by wanting good food no matter what the work involved is. Those look perfect! LIKE!

That is some beautiful looking yardbird Disco, big Like! When not breading and frying thighs in olive oil I usually go indirect on the Weber either teriyaki or BBQ, seasoned up hot just doesn't quite agree with my belly. RAY

Very nice looking thighs!

You are most kind!

I like your style.
They look great.
Nice job

Thanks but, She Who Must Be Obeyed might question your judgement on my style!

That is some beautiful looking yardbird Disco, big Like! When not breading and frying thighs in olive oil I usually go indirect on the Weber either teriyaki or BBQ, seasoned up hot just doesn't quite agree with my belly. RAY

I'm with you Ray. I love spicy food but it doesn't like me.

Looks Great, Disco!!
You're right---A lot of work!!
Too Much for Me!!
I'll have to settle for Gawking at yours!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: disco
I'm a bit late Disco but as always sir, that looks amazing!! It may have been a PIA but from my perspective it looked well worth the effort...especially if I'd gotten to eat some of it without having to do the work :emoji_wink: Congrats on another much deserved ride on the carousel.

Robert

You have to admit there is some huge satisfaction when the PIA creates that results though!

nice work!

That’s some pretty chicken Disco, beautiful color too!

Thanks so much, xray!

I'm a bit late Disco but as always sir, that looks amazing!! It may have been a PIA but from my perspective it looked well worth the effort...especially if I'd gotten to eat some of it without having to do the work :emoji_wink: Congrats on another much deserved ride on the carousel.

Robert

Thanks. It always surprises me when I make the carousel. I'm just a fat old Canadian who cooks, not a great photographer.

You have to admit there is some huge satisfaction when the PIA creates that results though!

nice work!

Truth! That first bite makes it all worth while. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky