Philly Cheesesteak Taco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Well it was pretty windy and rainy out today so no smoking or grilling. Wife is still gone skiing so bored and had to come up with a cook. Txsmoker posted a cheesesteak and that got my mind going. Decided to do a taco version of cheesesteak with a side.

First up it was time to make some cheddar taco shells. I love these for tacos. Just spray the parchment paper with a little oil and make a circle of shredded cheese. Bake in the oven at 400F until the edges start to brown.
start of taco shell .jpg

Once out of the oven you let it cool a few minutes until workable then hang over a homemade rack. Lol this is a foil wrapped level between two coffee cans.
hanging shells.jpg

Once they cool off a bit I trim them some to make them a bit more uniform. I save the trimmings as they are a crunchy cheese treat!

finished taco shells.jpg

Time to make some fillings. I found this shaved beef on sale at Kroger so grabbed two packs.
Raw beef.jpg

Nothing fancy, just threw it in a cast iron skillet with a little avocado oil, SPOG and Accent.
beef 2.jpg

Next up needed to get some onions and shrooms going, wanted to do peppers too but discovered there were none in frig. Sauteed these in avocado oil and butter.
Mushrooms and onions.jpg

Quick trip to the local market to get some green peppers and into the cast iron they go.
peppers.jpg

I am going to need a cheese sauce both for the taco and the side. I got this truffle gouda which was marked down from $28 / lbs. to a $1.50 for a small chunk. Also wanted to use some gruyere for flavor.
Cheese.jpg

I made a roux with almond flour and butter. Added heavy cream and about 2 to 2 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese. Really just eyeballed this not using a recipe. It came out super rich and creamy. The truffle flavor is subtle but you can pick it up.
cheese sauce.jpg

Next up I needed a side. I have seen a chip dish they do at the Browns game that looks awesome. I decided to try to recreate that. Since I don't do potatoes I made chips using Daikon radish. They were slice super thin and soaked in salt water. Dried off for an hour or two and then deep fried in 400F oil. Once fried I hit them with some Himalayan pink salt. While they look pretty brown in the picture they are actually pretty tasty!

radish chips .JPG

Ok now it was time to put it all together. Beef, shrooms, onion, pepper and some cheese sauce in the cheddar shell, radish chips drizzled with the truffle cheese sauce and topped with green onion and chives. All served on top some spinach. I like to eat the spinach with the cheesesteak and the heat of the items on top it help wilt it a tad.
plated 2.jpg

plated 2.jpg

Well thats it! Thanks for looking. I really like this and will be doing it again for sure. You can definitely sub out potato chips in this meal and it would be money. Next time I am going to use jicama to see if it will crisp up a bit better.

Last edited:
That's great and the Cheddar Shell is a killer idea! I like Beets chips more than Potato chips...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
Great looking meal! Nice job on the cheese tortillas! There is not one thing in this meal that I dont like. I LIKE BIG TIME!

Holy Moley!!! That looks friggin' amazing! I would gladly top dollar for that meal!

Please tell me you bought out the rest of that cheese if it was marked down that much? Even the Gruyere can get pretty pricey.

Wow. Like!

Holy Moley!!! That looks friggin' amazing! I would gladly top dollar for that meal!

Please tell me you bought out the rest of that cheese if it was marked down that much? Even the Gruyere can get pretty pricey.

Wow. Like!
I bought the 4 packs they had for sure! Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: xray
Damn jcam222 that is a really great looking taco....but I would need you to come over and make it cause I am not good with complicated cooks...but I sure as heck can eat them!

BIG LIKE!

Congrats on the ride....

John

Another great cook looks great, that was some find on that Cheese I can't find Gruyere in any of the stores near me. Likes
Richie

Looks Great jcam!!
I'd be all over that invention!!
Like.
And that Spinach should come in handy if you run into Brutis, and have to again fight for the hand of the Fair Maiden "Miss Olive Oil"!!

BTW: The only "Gruyere" around here that I've seen was the stuff they used to have in Bars. It was about 8 triangles wrapped in foil, in a round box.

Bear

Wow...just wow! That looks incredible and the cheese taco shell is one of the best things I have seen on here. Big points on that cook! Also love the "wahoo" deals from Kroger I stock up too if I can find them!

Excellent looking fed bag right there J. That cheese taco shell is on my short list of things to do.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky