Philly cheese steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

streetguy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Any body have a good Philly cheese steak sausage recipe they would like to share?

This one is from Cook's Illustrated. I've made it a few times and really liked it. I grew up in Chicago, however, so while I know what Italian Beef should taste like (I'm still chasing that holy grail), I don't know whether this is "authentic." However, from my memory of a few Philly cheesesteaks, I think this is pretty close.

A CI skillet is ideal and, if you use that, you can continue to chop while cooking. My memory of seeing this done is that they usually cook these on a big flat iron cooktop and are constantly chopping and moving the meat around.
------------
Philly Cheesesteaks

If skirt steak is unavailable, substitute sirloin steak tips (also called flap meat). Top these sandwiches with chopped pickled hot peppers, sautéed onions or bell peppers, sweet relish, or hot sauce.

2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and sliced with grain into 3-inch-wide strips
4 (8-inch) Italian sub rolls, split lengthwise
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 slices white American cheese (8 ounces)

Place steak pieces on large plate or baking sheet and freeze until very firm, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Spread split rolls on baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes.

Using sharp knife, shave steak pieces as thinly as possible against grain. Mound meat on cutting board and chop coarsely with knife 10 to 20 times.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking. Add half of meat in even layer and cook without stirring until well browned on 1 side, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir and continue to cook until meat is no longer pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer meat to colander set in large bowl. Wipe out skillet with paper towel. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sliced meat.

Return now-empty skillet to medium heat. Drain excess moisture from meat. Return meat to skillet (discard any liquid in bowl) and add salt and pepper. Heat, stirring constantly, until meat is warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, sprinkle with Parmesan, and shingle slices of American cheese over meat. Allow cheeses to melt, about 2 minutes. Using heatproof spatula or wooden spoon, fold melted cheese into meat thoroughly. Divide mixture evenly among toasted rolls. Serve immediately.

Thanks for the replies I was looking for a ground and stuffed recipe. I found a lot of mixes for sale from several suppliers was looking for a recipe. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks for the replies I was looking for a ground and stuffed recipe. I found a lot of mixes for sale from several suppliers was looking for a recipe. Sorry for any confusion.

I could give you Philly Cheesesteak info & Pics, instead of California Cheesesteaks (LOL), but I notice you were looking for Sausage. I got Nothing on "Philly Cheesesteak Sausage"---Sorry!!

Bear

If you search Philly Cheese Steak Sausage, you get a recipe with Brats or Italian Sausage on a roll, topped with Peppers, Onions and Cheese.
I would think 5lb of 70/30 ground beef, 8oz Diced Onion sauteed until tender, 6oz Diced Green Pepper sauteed until tender , 2Tbs Kosher Salt, 1Tbs Coarse Black Pepper and 1/2C NF Dry Milk, would make a flavor facsimile of the steak and veggies. Just add your favorite, Authentic Orange Processed Cheese Product on an Italian Roll...JJ

Sorry for missing the word "sausage" in your post. Most of what makes a Philly cheese steak sandwich taste the way it does is the browning on the griddle and, of course, the cheese. So, if you use ground meat, I think you need advice on the technique for cooking as much as you will need advice on the ingredients.

Last edited:
If you search Philly Cheese Steak Sausage, you get a recipe with Brats or Italian Sausage on a roll, topped with Peppers, Onions and Cheese.
I would think 5lb of 70/30 ground beef, 8oz Diced Onion sauteed until tender, 6oz Diced Green Pepper sauteed until tender , 2Tbs Kosher Salt, 1Tbs Coarse Black Pepper and 1/2C NF Dry Milk, would make a flavor facsimile of the steak and veggies. Just add your favorite, Authentic Orange Processed Cheese Product on an Italian Roll...JJ

Jimmy,
Yup---I was thinking along those lines, but you'd be better at something like that than I would be.
Maybe NEPAS could add to that---He's the Sausage Guru & He used to haunt the Eastern part of PA.
I'd sacrifice the AOPC, and get some Provolone in there though.

Bear

Agreed John. That was off the cuff. NEPAS may indeed have some tweeks for a better product...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky