Pheasant cheaper than Turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PolishDeli

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
I don't subscribe to the CNN is fake news hysteria. But man o man, is their reporting ridiculous sometimes.

This article (linked below) is suggesting that we make duck or pheasant for Thanksgiving to save money (and something about decolonizing your menu, but let's not even get into that part)

Maybe I live in an out-of-step zip code, but Turkey is on-sale, and much much cheaper than literally any other cut if meat.
Chicken feet are more expensive than turkey.
Where am I supposed to find a pheasant for less than 50 cents a pound?

All cable news stations tend to exaggerate their POV, and most of the audience cannot tell the difference between the opinion pieces from the actual articles or refuse to do so. They also have a habit of highlighting stories that fit their agenda.

I checked the flyer this morning for one of our local grocers, and Butterballs were on sale for 1.19/lb and Shadow Brooks were .79/lb. I don't even think they sell pheasants here, and duck is almost impossible to find.

Chris

I always get a kick out of the stories about how this or that is going to be short in supply.
I hardly look at the "news" anymore. I end up disgusted or depressed after about 15 minutes, but the Mrs. still does. Last year she told me that she had read that cream cheese was going to be in short supply. Sure enough, when I went to the grocery they were out, but a week later the bin was full and stayed that way.
A couple of months ago she read that butter was going to be in short supply for the Holidays and when I went to the store the shelves were empty, but once again, they were full a week later and still are. Had the same scare with flour when the Ukraine war started.
No shortage yet that I can see.
Turkeys are going for between .99 and 1.19 around here this year and the only "shortage" is small ones. I've never seen Pheasant in a grocery store....

i can get pheasant free from all the hunters trying to give them away, already cleaned
I need to find hunters like that! We don't shoot any pheasants close to our acreage...love listening and seeing them from the porch. But around here if you buy a ham for $5 something a lb you get a free turkey...or maybe just buy a turkey for $1.69 lb lol.

Ryan

I need to find hunters like that! We don't shoot any pheasants close to our acreage...love listening and seeing them from the porch. But around here if you buy a ham for $5 something a lb you get a free turkey...or maybe just buy a turkey for $1.69 lb lol.

Ryan
I let the hunters ( deer& pheasant, goose) hunt for free, seems lots of areas are starting to charge. They offer me pheasant , they also bring me meat sticks, sausage, beer , cleaned fish ect. Works out very well for me and them!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky