Petite Tenders on the SmokeFire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I've done a few threads on these . Just a great cut of beef . Finally came down in price . It always cycles if your patient enough .
I dry brined these with Canadian steak seasoning from Trade East . I put it on pretty heavy , then held under vacuum for about 4 hours .
This is out of the fridge , warming on the counter .
20230226_170256.jpg
Set the Smokefire to 200 and let it settle in for an hour , then set to smoke boost .
Cooked on the upper shelf , no need for a drip pan with these . Not enough fat , and I keep it clean .Open design gives a great smoke profile .Pulled at 132 , the bigger one was 126 in the thickest part .
Edit : Ran smoke boost for a couple hours . Then I start bumping up the temps 25 degrees at a time . Let it run a bit , then bump again . I think fresh pellets igniting really adds to the smoke flavor .
Finished cooking at 300 .

20230226_181110.jpg
Rested until I saw the temp drop , then sliced up the smaller ones .
Camera washes out the true color . These are perfect medium rare .
20230226_181943.jpg
20230226_181936.jpg
Had boxed scalloped potatoes , and some garlic / bacon green beans .
Great cut of beef . Extremely tender , even at higher temps .
20230226_182528.jpg
Had a pile of grated horseradish next to the beef . Stuff is strong .
Gave me the savory version of an ice cream brain freeze .
Just a great over all meal yesterday .
20230226_182533.jpg
The bigger one will be for sliders , maybe tonight .
Thanks for lookin .

Last edited:
Those are just delicious Rich! Great smoke and a great plate. I’m partial to those box scalloped potatoes, they’re great when you don’t want to fuss around with the real thing. Very nicely done.

Looks great! Getting ready to run my EOR on Kanes soon. Hope mine turns out like yours! Want mashed with mine. Don't think I've had them since TG. Boxed scalloped are good. I like big chunks of ham in mine. I forget it but my wife has a hack for it, I think use evaporated milk instead reg milk.

So the whole smoke is like 180F or so?

Rich, I agree with you that the petite tender is a great steak. You did those justice buddy. They look perfectly cooked and that's a fantastic finished plate. Very nice job sir.

Robert

Great looking plate. I'd be around for seconds!!
Thanks Jim . Between the 3 of us we finished it all off except the last steak .

Oh man Rich that looks spectacular! Weather is not cooperating lately here.
You never know what it's gonna be anymore . I had the good day yesterday . To windy to day to even go out .
Thanks for the comment . I love the results I get with that Smokefire .
You teed it up and hit it out of the park Rich, everything looks perfect! RAY
Thanks Ray . It really did hit the spot .

Those are just delicious Rich! Great smoke and a great plate.
Thanks Joe .
I’m partial to those box scalloped potatoes, they’re great when you don’t want to fuss around
Yup . Haven't used them in awhile . These were the loaded baled potato flavor . I'll be getting more .
Looks great!
Thanks bud .
Getting ready to run my EOR on Kanes soon.
I think you'll like the Kane's , but you know the effect that Canadian steak has .
So the whole smoke is like 180F or so?
Glad you asked . No . I need to edit that in above .
Great looking meal Rich!
Appreciate that Jim .
agree with you that the petite tender is a great steak. You did those justice buddy. They look perfectly cooked
They are great . So tender . I use them in stir fry too . The pellet grills do a nice job on the whole muscle " roasted " type cooks .
Thanks for the comments Robert . Appreciate it .

Reactions: zwiller
Looks great Rich! Great color on it! Glad you got some good weather for smoking.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
Another cut besides the tri tip that is hard to find here. That plate looks absolutely splendid,
Thanks Bill . It's another one that comes from the shoulder area of the animal . Only one per side . depends on if they go through the trouble of cutting them out .
I have to clean them up into the final cut . Save all the clean trim and grind it .

I like my horseradish, but damn!
LOL . I almost hurt myself taking to big of a bite .
Looks absolutely outstanding
Thanks Norm .
Nicely done Rich! I'd go back for seconds!
The kids did , then stood at the counter and finished it off while they were cleaning up . Have the one steak left . Might do some stir fry with it .
Thanks for lookin bud .

Reactions: motocrash
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky