Pernil in the Mini! Becomes a Cuban Sandwich!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great job..... Will be making this........

I find cooking at 250-275 I do not get the huge stalls, but still get nice rings and flavor...... Much shorter cook times. As you did I remove mine at 195 to rest. I don't wait till it reaches 205 to remove. I plan on carry over to bring me to the finish line.....

So I finally got my Cuban sandwich, it was a long wait but well worth it!

Stacked the Pernil, some thin sliced ham, Genoa salami and smoked Swiss cheese. Should have had some pickles to be a real Cuban but I really don't like pickles, no mustard here either. I read somewhere that a lot just use butter so I spread a little inside and out side to help toast it up a bit. I wrapped it in foil and into the oven at 400*. I put a baking pan on top and a cast iron frying pan on top of that. Baked for 25 minutes to a toasty cheesy hot juicy sammie!

Needless to say but this was Delicious!!!

So what project do i look for next??

Oh yea, I just got everything I need to start making sausage for Christmas, I guess i need to get busy!!!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!!!

MAN, Dave! That hurt so good reading through this and looking over the finished sandwich...nice work!

I slept in a bit today, as I'm off work for a couple days, and I haven't made the time to eat anything yet due to playing catch-up here on the forums, but now I'm definitely over-due...LOL!!!

Thanks for sharing this most successful adventure!

Eric

drool.gif

I love Cuban Sandwiches..... grew up eatting them. My friends mom would save the drippings from her roasted pork and mix with some cilantro, lime and garlic. It was like a cold Aus Jus. We would dip the sandwiches in that. It was amazing. Your sandwich looks just like hers did. brings back some great memories..... I like pickles and use dijon on mine with the butter....

Good grief, Dave! I didn't know about this until I saw it linked in another post, but you did an outSTANDing job, here! Congrats on a great pernil, and also on finding a new way to make pork. I've made this a couple of times over hickory, rather than in the oven, and it simply cannot be beat. Your description here is a great way to describe it:
It just fell apart, I picked the bone up out of it and there wasn't a speck of meat attached to it. Anyway it turned out Fantastic if I may say so myself! It is super tender and juicy but not mushy, still has a nice firm texture and the flavor is incredible, not your typical pulled pork at all. Of course it has a heavy garlic flavor but there is something else there I can't really describe, must be the citrus but it's not a fruity taste.
Also, that pan agua  looks perfect - You did a great job there, and to me, the shape of the bread is jsut fine - who wants their bread looking like it came out of a factory? way to take it over the top, I say! Wonderful Cuban sandwiches ~ even my wife, who is not an adventurous eater, requests pernil and cubanos at least once a month now ~

For any of you who see this and might be interested in trying it ~ my advice is to simply do it, and don't bother waiting. If you have any questions, just ask, and Dave or I can get them answered. This really must be experienced to be appreciated ~

Last edited:
That sandwich looks great! I can really appreciate the time you put in to get the pork right, make the bread, and cook it in the oven. A lot of love went into that sandwich!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky