Pepperoni snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottma

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Massachusetts
I decided today was a good day to try some more sausage making.  I mixed 4lbs of 80/20 ground beef and 1 lb of ground pork.  Mixed in the seasoning and cure last night and let it rest in the fridge overnight.  I used a mix I bought at bass pro.  It wasn't just for jerky it had direction for snack sticks as well. 

Stuffed this morning into 19mm collagen casings. Then got the MES to 130 degrees to hang no smoke for a couple hours. 

I then added the amazen tray with a blend of apple/hickory/maple/cherry pellets and let her smoke for 6 hours bumping the heat every few hours until It got to 170 degrees.  

They picked up a nice red color from the smoke.

By 5:30 this evening I was done waiting for the temp to get to 152 so into a water bath they went and hit 152 about 25 minutes later then into an ice bath to cool quickly.

All ready to hang out in a paper bag in the fridge.  

No money shots yet but I'll update in the morning.  

Should be a nice snack for the Pats game tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for looking,

Scott

Last edited:

Those look great, nicely done!

They look delicious!

Nice job!

Al
Thanks guys!!

I will take a pic soon.  I tried it this morning and they taste nothing like pepperoni.   They taste just like my last batch of summer sausage.  So still very good but not pepperoni.  Anyone have a good pepperoni recipe that tastes like the kind you get from a good deli?

Thanks guys!!

I will take a pic soon.  I tried it this morning and they taste nothing like pepperoni.   They taste just like my last batch of summer sausage.  So still very good but not pepperoni.  Anyone have a good pepperoni recipe that tastes like the kind you get from a good deli?
Nice job.

There is a big difference in smoker pepperoni and traditional dry cured. With smoked you may have to add to your recipe like more anise, fennel, paprika and cayenne also with some sort of tang like ECA. Your wanting the LA (Lactic Acid) 

With dry cured you will be using cure #2 and a fermentation agent for the tang. Also you can use the UMAi salumi bags and not have to worry about buying all the fancy smancy equip.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky