Pepperoni Question

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by farmer jim, Jan 11, 2014.

1. I just made 10# of pepperoni using the Sausage Maker Dry Pepperoni seasoning.  It says cure 3 weeks at 40-50 deg. and 70-80% humidity. I don't have a room with that humidity, but do have one with that temp. Can I put them on a rack inside a tote with a dish of water in the bottom?  I should have thought of this before making it, however....

2. shannon127

shannon127 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

You certainly can!  I would add salt to the water though

3. banjoe

banjoe Newbie

Can I ask why to salt the water?

Thanks

4. shannon127

shannon127 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

To keep bacteria from growing in the water.

5. banjoe

banjoe Newbie

Aha, wouldn't have even thought of that. Many thanks for this, Shannon127.

6. Thanks for saving my proverbial pepperoni.

7. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Adding water to salt will give you a relative humidity of 75%. The water should just come to the top of the salt...What cure did you use and what is your experience with dry curing meat?

8. Instacure #2, no experience with dry curing.

9. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Not having the correct humidity, you will have case hardening. The sausage will be hard on the outside and soft on the inside. The sausage need to lose a certain percentage of weight as it dries so you will have to weigh it at the start and keep a record. When the sausage has reached its target weight you need to test the ph level to make sure its ok to eat.... You have good and bad bactiria. The good bactiria will look like white powder. The bad bactiria will look dark in color like moldy food..... Here is a good reference http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making/drying

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014