Pellets vs Chips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Skiddy

Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
I picked up an AMNPS and grabbed a bag of Traeger apple wood pellets. I used the apple chips for half the smoke then switched to pellets and the smoke was very different. I noticed the pellets produced more smoke but the chips smelled much sweeter?

What kind of smoker?An electric like the Masterbuilt or something else?Knowing what smoker you're using will help considerably in answering you're questions.

I would also highly recommend using pellet dust instead of whole pellets,you'll get much cleaner smoke.And the Traeger pellets aren't the best you could be using.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skiddy and zwiller
i will agree, in my opinion pellets work fine but chips give a cleaner smoke. never tried chips in the amnps. or did you use the chips in your smokers tray.

Reactions: Skiddy
I would also highly recommend using pellet dust instead of whole pellets,you'll get much cleaner smoke.And the Traeger pellets aren't the best you could be using.
+1. Mailbox mod can also help. No way I am loading chips every half hour.

Reactions: normanaj
What kind of smoker?An electric like the Masterbuilt or something else?Knowing what smoker you're using will help considerably in answering you're questions.

yep its a MES40 and I was just using the tray I didnt have a torch handy to light the pellet tray.

Chips produce much more fragrant smoke than pellets. Only downside is that the tube is done in 1 to 1.5hrs and the pellets will burn for 4 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky