Pellets, MES, and AMNPS...have I bought a life-time supply?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danabw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 29, 2020
This is for use in my MES 30 w/AMNPS.

I just picked up a bag of Lumber Jack Competition Blend and one of Lumber Jack Oak, 20lb bags. I also want to have some apple pellets on hand, but when I saw how huge the 20lb bags of pellets were, I started to wonder if I already had a life-time supply of pellets. ;)

The instruction manual that comes w/the AMNPS says that when the AMNPS is full of pellets (all three rows, 15oz pellets), it will smoke for 12 hours! So I currently have:

40lbs pellets x ~12 hours/lb = 480 hours of smoke! Wow...

How you do guys find actual usage goes? Does the full AMNPS/MES combo get the 12 hours of smoke indicated in the manual?

Don't use my electric smoker (Big Chief).
I currently use a Weber Kettle or a Masterbuilt pellet pooper and a tube.
I stopped buying the retail blends.
I make my own blends. I buy bags of various flavors. At $5-$9 dollars for a 20# sack, I can afford many sacks.

This is for use in my MES 30 w/AMNPS.

I just picked up a bag of Lumber Jack Competition Blend and one of Lumber Jack Oak, 20lb bags. I also want to have some apple pellets on hand, but when I saw how huge the 20lb bags of pellets were, I started to wonder if I already had a life-time supply of pellets. ;)

The instruction manual that comes w/the AMNPS says that when the AMNPS is full of pellets (all three rows, 15oz pellets), it will smoke for 12 hours! So I currently have:

How you do guys find actual usage goes? Does the full AMNPS/MES combo get the 12 hours of smoke indicated in the manual?

Hahaha yeah u bought a ton but not a lifetime.
Smoke some pork butts or briskets and you will go through pellets faster but still not super fast.
I go through 100% mesquite the fastest but thats because I smoke briskets and i do 100% mesquite.

Enjoy the ride with it and love that life is simple with that many pounds :)

I'm starting to think about setting up a group pellet exchange with other local enthusiasts. If love to trade 10lbs of oak for 10lbs of apple, for example.

Or 5lbs of rocks for 10lbs of Pecan. ;)

Last edited:
I'm starting to think about setting up a group pellet exchange with other local enthusiasts. If love to trade 10lbs of oak for 10lbs of apple, for example.

Or 5lbs of rocks for 10lbs of Pecan. ;)

That's a fantastic way to spread the love and get a variety of pellets!
I realized i failed to answer your question bout the 12 hours of smoke from the AMNPS... it's a real thing.

I tried to do a swap locally but no one bit. I have like 5x the amount of pellets u have because I wanted variety so I understand the feeling of "a life time" of pellets hahaha.

If you are in the North Dallas area i have a ton of Pecan, Cherry, and some "blend" bags of pellets I would love to swap with. I can never have enough of 100% Lumberjack Mesquite and I have yet to get my hands on any of the Lumberjack Char pellets or Char pellets of any kind so those are the main ones on my list.

I could be talked into parting with some Maple but I really like Maple as my go to middle of the road smoke over Oak.... since everyone and their mother uses Oak to make bbq in TX so it has become the most generic smoke flavor in the world to me haha.

Reactions: Danabw
I have yet to get my hands on any of the Lumberjack Char pellets or Char pellets of any kind so those are the main ones on my list.

Its what I use the majority of the time now.My local Walmart is loaded with the PB Char pellets at $8.88 for a 20lb bag,hell I'd send ya some but the shipping would cost more than the pellets!

That's a fantastic way to spread the love and get a variety of pellets!
I realized i failed to answer your question bout the 12 hours of smoke from the AMNPS... it's a real thing.

I tried to do a swap locally but no one bit. I have like 5x the amount of pellets u have because I wanted variety so I understand the feeling of "a life time" of pellets hahaha.

If you are in the North Dallas area i have a ton of Pecan, Cherry, and some "blend" bags of pellets I would love to swap with. I can never have enough of 100% Lumberjack Mesquite and I have yet to get my hands on any of the Lumberjack Char pellets or Char pellets of any kind so those are the main ones on my list.

I could be talked into parting with some Maple but I really like Maple as my go to middle of the road smoke over Oak.... since everyone and their mother uses Oak to make bbq in TX so it has become the most generic smoke flavor in the world to me haha.
Unfortunately you and I are about, oh 1000 or so miles away from each other, I'm in SoCal. :) Good luck finding someone local to pool/share, that seems like an easy way to keep the variety up and the storage down to a reasonable level!

Its what I use the majority of the time now.My local Walmart is loaded with the PB Char pellets at $8.88 for a 20lb bag,hell I'd send ya some but the shipping would cost more than the pellets!
I'll check that out for sure. I avoid Walmart at all costs but will build up to making that trip at some point :)

Unfortunately you and I are about, oh 1000 or so miles away from each other, I'm in SoCal. :) Good luck finding someone local to pool/share, that seems like an easy way to keep the variety up and the storage down to a reasonable level!
What I found works best for me is to get family members into making BBQ with some sort of pellet grill or electric + amnps and then u have a small network for swapping pellets.... or people freeloading pellets off you hahahaha :P

I'll check that out for sure. I avoid Walmart at all costs but will build up to making that trip at some point :)
Trust me I avoid that place as much as possible but it was unavoidable as the other half HAD to go so I tagged along and of course had to check out the outdoor section.They were loaded with the char pellets.

Reactions: tallbm
What I found works best for me is to get family members into making BBQ with some sort of pellet grill or electric + amnps and then u have a small network for swapping pellets.... or people freeloading pellets off you hahahaha :P
Wait - have you met my family?! ;-)

Reactions: tallbm
Trust me I avoid that place as much as possible but it was unavoidable as the other half HAD to go so I tagged along and of course had to check out the outdoor section.They were loaded with the char pellets.
A local place has Jack Daniels sugar maple charcoal pellets the whiskey is dripped through with very little oak from the barrels @20lbs for $20. You can't taste the whiskey but its easy lighting and goes great with other pellets. Probably good with cherry that is hard to stay lit in the maze on its own but the tube is probably no problem.
20180427_094258.jpg
20180427_094646.jpg

A local place has Jack Daniels sugar maple charcoal pellets the whiskey is dripped through with very little oak from the barrels @20lbs for $20. You can't taste the whiskey but its easy lighting and goes great with other pellets. Probably good with cherry that is hard to stay lit in the maze on its own but the tube is probably no problem.

Found a 2lb bag of that a couple of years back and haven't seen it since.Would love to score a large back when I get close to finishing the current...which will still be a little while.

Reactions: dr k

That's about 30 packer briskets :emoji_relaxed:

Found a 2lb bag of that a couple of years back and haven't seen it since.Would love to score a large back when I get close to finishing the current...which will still be a little while.
I think Todd sells the 2lbrs.

I don't have a tray. I actually have a knock-off tube (wife bought it at Target). I get 3-4 hours in the Weber kettle or pellet pooper.
I'm not sure the pellet load of a tube or a tray. A long time to burn off those pellets if you stick with the electric.

Here's what I meant in original post.
You have a lot of pellets to use in a tray or tube only.
After getting the pellet pooper (as I did) you will burn up the stock pile of pellets much quicker plus add more smoke flavor.
I only have 7 6 bags of various flavor pellets.
Apple, Cherry, Oak, Maple, Hickory, Char-Hickory, and Traeger maple-hickory-cherry blend.
I also have a small sack of Pecan and a special sack of Jamaican Jerk pellets.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky